Giving my chicks treats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LoupGarou, May 2, 2009.

1. LoupGarou

LoupGarou Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    I've given them some banana (mashed and chunks), some greens, and tonight I gave them some cooked pasta. They really seemed to like the pasta the best. They've been getting grit for about a week now, so should they be able to eat bits of apple? If so, skin on or skin off? Also, I was thinking of cooking some carrots and giving them to my chicks. Are these treats all right?

2. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I dont give chicks "treats." There really is no need, and they really do need consistent nutrition at the young phases of life.

I'll be the one to spoil your fun and suggest you leave them in the care of a good ration until they reach a couple of months.
    Then, just give them some greens like kale or collards tied in a bundle and hung where they can reach it.

Not as much fun, I know. But, well... there it is.

3. LoupGarou

Oct 15, 2008
    I appreciate your response and respect your opinion, but there is no need to condescend to me or treat me like a child. I give my dogs a good kibble, just as I am giving my chicks a good source of nutrition, but I also like giving my animals fresh food. Things like carrots and apples and whatnot are nutritious, plus they seem to enjoy the variety. I am not sure how putting them into a tractor on the grass is any different than giving them a few bites of something different every night, since they would not be sticking to their "balanced diet" rooting up bugs, worms, and other chicken "treats."

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There's a good treat chart on here somewhere. Truth is you can give them almost anything. Raw potato peels are supposed to be a no-no, but that's about it, other than obvious things like nothing overly salty or sugary or greasy. They love protein treats, meat and scrambled eggs (you can scramble the shells too.) Oh, milk is also evidently a problem, not real lactose tolerant, but you can give cheese or curdled milk or buttermilk, etc. Many give yogurt. I buy a can of mackerel now and then -- not too costly and they do love it. I would not hesitate to give peels of most any fruit or veggie. Might stay away from the other nightshades like eggplant, though, since potato peels are off the agenda. Although mine love tomatoes and get all the rejects from the garden.

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:I guess by that logic, it's okay to jump from a plane with a faulty parachute - since a girl in the news recently survived such an incident. Since it was done, it is de facto acceptable practice, right?

It's probably safe to say you won't do them any harm by feeding them apple peels and cooked carrots. If it makes you happy, go for it.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  6. LoupGarou

Oct 15, 2008
    Once again, Davaroo, thank you for your opinion. I understand your objection to making chickens pets instead of livestock and that is not my intention at all. Not a single one of my birds has a name and I am attempting to remain detached from them, since I know I will be eating some of them in the future. However, I feel fresh food is good, not bad for them. If you are going to respond to me, however, I request that you respond to me respectfully and as your equal, not dismissively as you have done previous to this post.

Thank you for your courteous compliance.

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Request noted.
    Know, too, that I dont read a name on a post and say "Uh-oh, it's so-and-so... better be careful."
    I got over that a long time ago, since it is a given that we are all equal here.
    In responding, I offer what I am certain is proven and useful information, plainly stated, from my point of view.

If you take umbrage at it, well, I regret that.

Now, enough of this. Let's move on, shall we?

8. LoupGarou

Oct 15, 2008
    Yes, certainly, since you've already torpedoed my thread.

Thank you, ddawn, for responding to me with the information that I requested. I'll check that information out.

9. BarmyBantams

BarmyBantams New Egg

Mar 11, 2009
    Quote:They sound fine to me, I don't see any reason not to get them used to eating a wide variety of foods. Like ddawn said I'm sure there are foods that should be avoided but otherwise most things are fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by