Giving My Silki hens an Hair Cut

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3, Sep 24, 2011.

1. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    One day I was online reading about chickens, and it said that some people give silkies hair cuts [​IMG] . Then I relized that my silkies couldn't SEE [​IMG] so I verry carefully trimed the hair like feathers around my verry tamed hens eyes. They didn't even notice to busy watchin t.v. [​IMG] The Hair cuts turned out verry good if I say so my self. They can now see, and they have HUGE eyes. Its funny but after 2 "hair cuts" I looked like I could use one my self, "hair" everywhere [​IMG] !

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    N.C chicken Owner :

One day I was online reading about chickens, and it said that some people give silkies hair cuts [​IMG] . Then I relized that my silkies couldn't SEE [​IMG] so I verry carefully trimed the hair like feathers around my verry tamed hens eyes. They didn't even notice to busy watchin t.v. [​IMG] The Hair cuts turned out verry good if I say so my self. They can now see, and they have HUGE eyes. Its funny but after 2 "hair cuts" I looked like I could use one my self, "hair" everywhere [​IMG] !

cute, now we need some pics! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  3. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Sounds very cool. But i agree we do need some pics.[​IMG]

4. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    I'll try to get some soon [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    N.C chicken Owner :

I'll try to get some soon [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG]

x2!

7. lashlsufan

lashlsufan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2012
    Southern Louisiana
    How were they acting before vs after the hair cut? We have a newly introduced Silkie to our flock and she moves around very little. She will sit in the middle of the coop for hours at a time. Should I trim around her eyes or could there be a different problem. She is approximately 17 weeks old.
    Thanks for the reply.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  8. OlivesMama

OlivesMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    Oregon
    I trim my Silkie's fluff around her eyes too. I can't seem to keep up though! I've trimmed each week, but it grows faster than that. She's almost 5 months now. I did it after hearing about how the fluff around their eyes can make them jumpy, same with Polish and other breeds that have a lot of feathers. She didn't seem to act any different post-cut. She still turns her head funny to try and see me.

9. lashlsufan

lashlsufan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2012
    Southern Louisiana
    I just wanted to give an update on our silkie, Tina. We gave her a "haircut" on Thursday of last week and are amazed at her transition! Previously, she would sit in the same place all day without moving except to occasionally hobble to time food and water. She would not go in or out the coop on her and never interacted with the other chickens. It may all be a crazy coincidence, but I think not. She is a new bird... Walking around, interacting with other chickens, in an out the coop on her yesterday and today. I do believe she was unable to see (silkie's already have poor eyesight from what I have read), and the feathers constantly irritated her eyes. Therefore, if you are having any issues with your silkie including little movement, constant head twitching, no interaction, then I suggest trying out the haircut option. We did not go hardcore on trimming the feathers around her eyes, but it eloped significantly. I do not have any good pictures of the cut but would be willing to take some if anyone is interests.

10. OlivesMama

OlivesMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    Oregon
    I have had my 5 month old Silke for about a month now, and I've had to give her weekly "fluff cuts" around her eyes. She does the head twitching thing if I don't, then she gets all happy and moves a lot quicker once she can see again. I'd love to see a picture of her and how the cut looks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by