Giving My Silki hens an Hair Cut

She is so adorable! She looks outraged though - how dare you touch my head poof???

Love your silkies haircut! My question is...how do you get it so close to the skin? We did ours today for the first time and barely thinned it! Any help would be appreciated.

It is very difficult to trim the feathers right around their eyes. My Silkie is especially fluffy since she came from a local breeder who's specifically trying to produce extra fluffy Silkies. I'm lucky Olive can be called easily and usually takes a nap in my lap while I trim. I try and lift her feathers and then cut so I can really get in there. It takes many attempts to get out all mowed down and then send to grow back quickly. Olive is in need of another trim. It's been about that month. I also have to trim my Sultan's feathers. She's much, much harder to do because she's so skittish.

We will try again today . We have only had her 2 weeks and were afraid to annoy her! She also is very calm so it should be o.k. Thanks for reply!

Did you get a chance to trim? I did yesterday morning. Both the Silkie and Sultan needed it. I think they are used to it by now. Neither enjoy being handled, but my goofy Sultan will take a nap in my lap once I catch her. She just thinks she doesn't like chicken pets! Even if your chickens are leery of you, it's worth it so they can see. Mine are like different chickens once they don't have feathers and fluff blocking their vision. They seem to be less jumpy.

I got round tip scissors for kids and we plan to try again Monday when my husband can help. We had gotten her eyes cleared before but just want to style now! Fingers crossed.

All of these pictures are great
smile.png

I have seven silkies, and they won't come near me, so I definitly don't see myself doing this.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom