giving oral medications

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickendaddy'swife, Mar 16, 2011.

1. chickendaddy'swife

chickendaddy'swife Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Kingman, ARIZONA
    I have a RIR, 2 yrs old, who needs oral antibiotics, given with a needle-less hypo. How far back to you squirt the medication. I don't want it to go in her lungs.
    Also when she was out in the yard with the others and it got dark she didn't go in the coop? I have been keeping her in the house in a kennel with a infared light. She seemed better and thought she would like to sleep with her sisters???
    Thanks for and advice.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    chickendaddy'swife :

I have a RIR, 2 yrs old, who needs oral antibiotics, given with a needle-less hypo. How far back to you squirt the medication. I don't want it to go in her lungs.
    Also when she was out in the yard with the others and it got dark she didn't go in the coop? I have been keeping her in the house in a kennel with a infared light. She seemed better and thought she would like to sleep with her sisters???
    Thanks for and advice.

You can put a drop on the side of her beak and pull down gently on her wattles and her mouth will open, she should then drink it. Why antibiotics? Have you wormed her and checked for lice/mites. It's that time of year for these parasites to show up.​

3. chickendaddy'swife

Apr 24, 2010
    Kingman, ARIZONA
    No she hasn't been wormed, and I am giving her antibiotics because she has a wheezie chest. Her sisters had it a month ago and were treated the same by the vet and they recoverd great. I haven't taken this one inas the vet bill was $400. and I was hope-ing to not have to go back to the vet.
    any ideas why she won't go in with her sisters in the coop?

4. chickendaddy'swife

Apr 24, 2010
    Kingman, ARIZONA
    PS- no mites or lice, checked throughly.

5. chickendaddy'swife

Apr 24, 2010
    Kingman, ARIZONA
    Just tried dawg53's way to give oral meds and it worked PERFECT!!!!!!Such a easy no STRESS way ! Thank you Thank you Thankyou!!!

6. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    The best way I've found to give oral medication is to hold the bird's head between your thumb and index finger with the back of her skull against the webbing between the two fingers. Tilt her head back till her beak is pointing up and her beak will naturally open. You can pinch the hinge of her jaw to hold the beak apart and inject the medicine via a syringe in the back of her throat. Works like a charm.

7. chickendaddy'swife

Apr 24, 2010
    Kingman, ARIZONA
    Wow another GREAT way!! I will try this also!!! Thank you!!!!

8. hcarlsonlewis

hcarlsonlewis Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    Whitesburg, GA
    I cut up small pieces of spaghetti and pour the medication on top. She eats it without argument or stress. Also try injecting into watermelon... That works great, too.

9. jette

jette Out Of The Brooder

thank you for these suggestions - although a few years ago - I put antibiotics down her lungs. Her ear is so swollen - about 15x size - She came this way - hen pecked and it got worse - unfortunately, I had to go to vet and give antibiotics. I will try your methods!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by