Giving our chickens a treat.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Lifestudent, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Lifestudent

Lifestudent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Our chickens love to eat bird seed from my hand. The red hen is a little over ambitious because she jumps up and grabs my hand to pull it down. And yes, even our rooster likes to eat from my hand.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  2. HooDoo Mtn Farm

HooDoo Mtn Farm Out Of The Brooder

Your boy is a real gentleman, letting the ladies eat first!

3. Lifestudent

Mar 23, 2012
    He was a bit henpecked when we first got him. Now he's the protector of the flock, and yes, he does make sure his girls get to eat first.

Did you notice our Rhode Island Red hen jump up and grab my hand as I was bringing it down? She does that every time. Sometimes she pinches hard too, but it's not meant to be mean. She just wants that treat, and wants it NOW.

I know everyone else on here is going to say "we already knew this", but every one of our chickens does have a unique personality. They also come running and even come inside when I open the back door.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  4. HooDoo Mtn Farm

HooDoo Mtn Farm Out Of The Brooder

Good thing you don't have goats . . .[​IMG]!!

5. dolphinlvr4

dolphinlvr4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Savannah ga
    I brought in a bag of crickets the other day n my over excited hen loves to jump up n pop the bag before I get it open.. The jumping crickets are just too much for them to resist. Mine have a large run but don't free range so I buy lots of bugs n you would think they were starved, they get verrrry happy ;-)

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I bet that was fun to watch. I know in the summer and fall my birds follow me tree to tree as I catch cicadas and feed them - they can't gt enough of them!!

7. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri

8. Lifestudent

Mar 23, 2012
    My aunt told me that's a sign of a good barnyard rooster. He watches out for his ladies to make sure they all get to eat, as well as protecting them.

9. Lifestudent

Mar 23, 2012
    I went to live with my grandma for a year after high school (Grandpa died just before I graduated) and she raised chickens for the eggs and an occasional chicken dinner, and there were a lot of cicadas that year. She kept her chickens in a large pen, but I would go around catching cicadas and letting the hens eat them. Yes, the chickens love them!

10. Lifestudent

Mar 23, 2012
    One of the guys I was stationed with in the Air Force in my younger days raises goats now. He's always talking about taking care of them, like having to get up early to help one birth. It sounds like a good life to me, but it would be a lot of work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by