Giving penicillin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Soccerchicken, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Soccerchicken

Soccerchicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    Ok, so I'm trying to treat my beautiful hen who's internally laying. She was just diagnosed today. How much penicillin should I give her, how, and when? Also, what conditions should I keep her on? I really don't want to stress her. Thank you very much.

ANY INFORMATION AT ALL IS HELPFUL.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Did a she see a vet?

-Kathy

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  4. Soccerchicken

Apr 8, 2013
    Thank you very much for replying. Just diagnosed her a couple hours ago and no vets near me are open. Also I am going through a very hard time financially. I've been trying very hard to find any way to save her without a vet. If I think she can survive and not relapse, I may be able to scrape up some money. I am seriously considering spaying, but I've heard the survival rate isn't very good. Thank you very much for the link and I guess I'll be buying some sterol needles.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you are using procaine penicillin G, then you would give 1/4 ml or cc once a day for 4 days. Use a sterile 20 gauge needle and a syringe, and inject the medicine 1/4 inch deep into the breast muscle--pull back on the syringe to make sure you are not in a blood vessel, then give the shot. You will find penicillin in the refrigerator at most feed stores--don't use any other type of penicillin for these directions. Here are a couple of links to read:
    http://www.drugs.com/vet/procaine-penicillin-g-can.html
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...r-a-penicillin-shot-to-a-chicken#post_4280176

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  6. Soccerchicken

Apr 8, 2013
    Oh, thank you very much, this is super helpful. Just a couple more questions, I think she has either worms or internal laying. If she has worms, will the penicillin help, or will it weaken her/make her worse? And I've heard penicillin is the only cure for internal laying, is this true, or are there less drastic measures? And will the penicillin have any side-affects?

Again, thanks a TON Eggsessive!

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

What are her symptoms?

8. Soccerchicken

Apr 8, 2013
    She is lethargic, has a little bit of diarrhea, is sleeping quite a bit, and is very passive. (I gave her a few millimeters of water in a syringe because she wasn't drinking much, and she hardly fought.) her appetite seems to be very good, however.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    When I give fluids I give 15ml per pound every 4-6 hours.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by