Giving pipped eggs to a broody hen. URGENT!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by marans123, Aug 4, 2011.

1. marans123

marans123 New Egg

Jul 13, 2011
    Hi all, I would really appreciate some advice. I have 6 eggs in the incubator and I was about to put them under my broody hen. I haven't had the chance to do it before today and I know they are supposed to be in 'lockdown'. They are at day 20. When I went to the incubator 3 have already pipped! What should I do? Do I leave them to hatch and then put them under her at nighttime or just put them under her anyway?

Thanks in advance.

2. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    I'm not an expert but I would personally wait and put them under her at night after they hatched. Mainly because I would be worried that they would shrinkwrap. I hope that someone who has done this before posts soon so that you have a more expert opinion.

Edited to add: [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  3. marans123

marans123 New Egg

Jul 13, 2011
    Thanks for that, I think you're right. I would be worried about shrink wrapping too. Four have pipped now [​IMG] I'm suprised any have got this far as I have possibly the worst 'bator in the world. I got it from the local store and the temperature has been all over the place. Who knows what the humidity is doing. Have to invest in something better next time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by