1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Giving serious thought to cutting my hair off

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by gritsar, Dec 27, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My hair is stick pin straight and baby fine. It's now down to my waist. The last time I cut it off it was down to the back of my knees and I cut it to the nape of my neck. That was 10 years ago and with some trimming it has taken this long for it to grow to my waist again.
    I'm 47 years old and I'm starting to feel that it looks all wrong on me. Plus, there's the hassle of dealing with long hair.
    Problem is, because my hair is so straight and fine it doesn't take well to styling. I also don't have much patience for working with it; so the right cut would have to basically be wash and wear.

Where can I look online for some ideas on different styles?

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    If you decide to cut that hair, please give to locks of love or other entity for cancer patients........

I've done it several times.....My hair was waist length when hubby met me but now barely touches the shoulders. Still have to have a pony tail!

Good luck in your search....

3. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina
    Yup--give those wonderful locks to people who need it definitely. Great donation (and tax deductible I believe also)

I noticed alot of women older look better in shorter hair styles. I don't know why...LOL...just my view.

Go to your salon and they should have tons of books for medium to short hair styles.
    I am sure you could google "medium hair styles" and should hit online books of different haircuts.

If you cut it all, could you post a pic? lol
    I bet your new short hair cut will be wonderful!!!! Change is good and if it isn't to your liking, you can grow it out some. Good thing about hair..HAHA

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have straight hair too and I have been trying to grow it out. When it was really short, I had to style it or I looked like a man!! (or a militant feminist) [​IMG] It ended up being MORE of a hassle when it was supposed to be less. I am 46 so I know what you mean about shorter hair and more mature ladies but it wasn't working for me.

If I were you I would try shoulder length. You can always go shorter later.

5. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    My hair is classic length and I am 48. It's gray and silver.

How much easier can you get than long hair?

When it's clean, it's down.

When it's dirty, it's up.

Wash and wear?

Wash and go?

It doesn't get much easier.

I don't even own a blow dryer or curling iron.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That's kinda what I'm worried about. Right now, I shampoo and condition it and have the ends trimmed every couple of months. A haircut is going to mean regular trips to the stylist to keep it looking good. [​IMG]

7. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Mine is straight and thick and fine- a deadly combination. About 5 years ago I cut it off short. The key is to finding a really good hairstylist. The first lady i just picked blind. I was desperate to do something and just walked in the door and let her have at it. The new hairstylist I found by asking people whose hair always looked good. The new lady is awesome. I'm about 2 weeks late on getting a haircut and it still looks decent. What has worked for me is a bob style. It falls to just below my ears and is shorter in back. This last cut looked good no matter what I did (or didn't do) to it. Wash and go!
    Again, start looking around and see whose hair always looks good (not from styling, but from cut) and see who they go to. I love having mine shorter!

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:That's kinda what I'm worried about. Right now, I shampoo and condition it and have the ends trimmed every couple of months. A haircut is going to mean regular trips to the stylist to keep it looking good. [​IMG]

So true. Long hair is so much easier. I had to cut mine, it was to my waist, but damaged . I had worn it up a ll the time anyway. And the long hairs all over the house started to really bother me.

9. FarmerChick

FarmerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    North Carolina

I like trips to the salon. I like to trim my hair and have it look good in the cut.
    You are right....maintenance is needed. But for me, those trips are luxury trips..LOL
    I love having my hair done and all that girly stuff.

10. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I have long black hair down to my waist, I'm not sure it's easier. I donate 12+ inches to locks of love every 3 years(grows extremely fast!!) and I am soooo ready for a cut!! I wake up in a wad of hair every morning, and the goats apparently think it tastes good...lol! I end up looking like a dork with short hair, so I opt for shoulder length layered hair and it's fairly easy, and not too much trouble.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by