Giving Shots?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by awarmrainyday, Feb 11, 2016.

1. awarmrainyday

awarmrainyday Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2014
    I am terrified of giving shots. I worked in a medical office and saw it done a thousand times and it still scares me. I have four stray hens I gathered up, two have been sick for a month with congestion, swollen sinuses, and a lot of mucous and chest rattling. They had Tylan 50 orally for a week which took most of the rattle away but they were stilling drowning in mucous. They hade duramycin powder in their water for a week, then sulmet and now Ive decided to try LA-200.

I got an insulin syringe from my grandma and built up the nerve to try after watching youtube and reading info on several sites. They are still underweight so finding a meaty spot is nearly impossible. The first one I wrapped in a towel and tried injecting in the breast and she squirmed like crazy. I got some just under the skin in the back of the neck but then she squirmed a lot so I ended up giving her the rest orally. The next one wouldnt tolerate the neck or breast so I ended up giving it in her outer leg in a spot that looked decently meaty and she was fine with that.

Both of their injection sites are puffy, some of the medicine leaked out the injection site, and there was a tiny spot of blood. Is this all normal? Will the puffiness go away as the medicine is absorbed? I used a 27 gauge needle that was 1/4 of an inch long. The one I inserted halfway in and the other only a quarter of the way in.

I really hope I didnt hurt them. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

2. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    How long ago was it that u gave them the shots

3. awarmrainyday

May 17, 2014
    I gave them the shots a half an hour ago. I havent checked the injection site since but they are eating and snooping around the bathroom.

4. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Ok well since u only gave it to them about half an hour ago they should be down by morning and should be fine by then so if they are not then we will go from there and I don't know what to do if it don't but I am sure someone on here could help

5. awarmrainyday

May 17, 2014
    Thanks for your response! I will keep an eye on the injection sites. I wasnt sure what was normal after giving a shot. I also gave them each a few drops of nutri-drench. Im hoping it wl hekp biist their immune systems.

6. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Welcome that's what we are here for have anymore questions just ask hope this helps

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

LA 200 can cause injection site necrosis, so keep an eye out for that. Pretty good chance that LA 200 isn't gonna work since the Duramycin didn't work. If it doesn't work, you could try the Tylan 50 again, but this time give the max dose of 25 mg per pound twice a day (1/2 cc per pound twice a day). If that doesn't work, you could try Baytril. Baytril is banned for use in poultry, so you would have to think about that.

-Kathy

8. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Did it go down

9. awarmrainyday

May 17, 2014
    [​IMG]

This one is really swollen and red :(

[​IMG]

This little girls just got a little red spot at the inejction site and some white areas but its not swollen at all.

It would be just my luck for something bad to happen the first time I give a shot. Maybe the la-200 was a waste of $30.

10. awarmrainyday

May 17, 2014
    So the max dose of Tylan-50 would be 1/2cc per pound (so for a 4 pound bird it would be 2cc) twice daily? Should I give orally again or via injection? The little hen was getting .25 cc daily and the slightly larger was getting .5 daily, maybe I just wasn't giving a strong enough dose? I bought the Tylan-50 that I'm using in the spring of 2014 but I can't find an expiration date on it. Maybe it's expired and not as effective? It was stored in the original box in a cool and dry place.

The little hen who didn't have much of a reaction to the LA-200 looked better this morning. Her sinuses weren't as swollen and I didn't hear any sneezing which was encouraging. The bigger hen who had the reaction was still sneezing and shaking mucous from her beak. Now not only do I have to try get her better, but I have to figure out what to do with the inflamed injection site!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by