Giving some serious thoughts on breeds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SkyWarrior, Jul 25, 2010.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Now that I have 24 chickens, 2 geese, 2 ducks and 1 turkey do I finally think about what breeds I want to have. [​IMG]

I've been giving this a lot of study, and after raising some of the common breeds, I think I've narrowed my choices down to

Orpingtons for my brown layers
    EEs for my colored egg layers
    ?? for chocolate egg layers

and maybe BRs or PRs for meat/eggs

So far, I own all the breeds except for the chocolate egg layers. I was thinking Barnevelders, but they're rather rare. I know of someone who is breeding cuckoo marans whom I may be on the list for chicks. The other possibility is to pick up eggs from someone who has birds and incubate them myself. What about Welsummers? One requirement I have is that the bird must be cold hardy. I live in Montana and we get some below zero temps.

So, what would you suggest for brown egg layers and am I off on getting BRs for meat? I tried Cornish crosses and I had a fair number get ascites because of the altitude. I want a slower growing bird who will still put meat on. Or should I consider another breed?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

French Copper Maran! [​IMG]

3. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Are Marans good for cold? How are their temperament?

4. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA

I live in NW Georgia so we dont have temps near as cold as you do, so I can't speak to how hardy they would be in your neck of the woods but as for their temperament they are really calm quite birds and seem to get along with people and other breeds. I also have Welsummers and the same goes for them. If you decide to get a roo of either breed (especially the Welsummer) you could have trouble with their combs freezing. I would recommed either breed but I think the FBCMs lay better. They both lay beautiful eggs.

5. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana

I live in NW Georgia so we dont have temps near as cold as you do, so I can't speak to how hardy they would be in your neck of the woods but as for their temperament they are really calm quite birds and seem to get along with people and other breeds. I also have Welsummers and the same goes for them. If you decide to get a roo of either breed (especially the Welsummer) you could have trouble with their combs freezing. I would recommed either breed but I think the FBCMs lay better. They both lay beautiful eggs.

If you don't mind me asking, how are the FBCMs different from the Cuckoo Marans (other than color)?

6. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I have never raised them but I am guessing they would be like plymouth rocks...their characteristics should be pretty much the same since they are the same breed...I don't think the color variation would be any difference in temperment. Just be prepared to be hooked! I can't wait to round some some Wheatens now! I think the Wheaten hens are the prettiest of all the Marans.

7. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Overrun With Chickens

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Wyandottes! Beautiful, brown eggs, AND cold hardy!

8. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    Rocks would be good for meat. but have you considered standard cornishes? They would grow a little bit slower than the cornish X but wouldn't have the problems.

9. newTexan2chickens

newTexan2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    I have FBCM hens and BR hens and both seem to be nice and docile.... I think the Marans a little more so. My Maran eggs are really dark... much darker than the BR eggs, but they do not produce quite as well... maybe 3 eggs per week- 4 tops.

[​IMG]

My understanding is that most CM lay a lighter colored egg.

10. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:How are their personalities?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by