giving store bought chicks to a broody hen! okay? not okay?

Chickens rock!mysocks

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 29, 2010
Oregon
I have 5 chicks right now about 3 weeks old. They have been living in their brooder their entire life. Meanwhile, my Speckled Sussex is 1.5 years old. She has been broody for about 3 days now. This is her first time going broody. Is it all right to give the chicks over to the mother hen instead of keeping them in the brooder? If I can, how long do I wait to give them over, and do I just shove the chicks underneath the hen one day or what? i'm not sure at all of anything so any advice would be very helpful!!

My broody hatched one single chick out of 5 eggs and I was worried about it being alone...so a bought one more chick and put it under my broody. She excepted it right away! Some say wait until night to do it, others say day time. They need to be about the same age and size as her own chicks. Some will except them other hens will not....so you have to be prepared to take care of them if she won't. I'm not sure your broody will except 3 week olds and visa virsa, they usually don't want much do with thier chicks after about 4 weeks. Your best bet is to get her some fertile eggs and let her try to hatch her own. Good luck!

I did it. Worked fine.

Broody hatched one and I bought six because I am a sucker for chicken math.
roll.png

First I added one chick at night. Accepted right away.

Then I added the rest the next day. She was seriously happy to have a bunch of peeps.
cool.png

Just reread your post. My chicks are only days old. Not sure a broody would want 3 week old chicks, but you could try it.

Last edited:
Chicken.Lytle :

I did it. Worked fine.

Broody hatched one and I bought six because I am a sucker for chicken math.
roll.png

First I added one chick at night. Accepted right away.

Then I added the rest the next day. She was seriously happy to have a bunch of peeps.
cool.png

Just reread your post. My chicks are only days old. Not sure a broody would want 3 week old chicks, but you could try it.

If you do try it, be careful....hens can be very aggresive towards the chicks and then you'll know she rejects them. IMO they are way to old, now if they were 1-3 days that's another story. Has she even been sitting on eggs, would just get her some fertile eggs.​

Back
Top Bottom