Giving Terramycin ointment orally in emergency situation?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lehcarjt, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Lehcarjt

Lehcarjt New Egg

Nov 7, 2013
    Hey -

I have a Silkie Roo with a bad case of fly strike (maggots eating him from the outside in on his butt) this afternoon. It all happened super fast and we got him cleaned up, (hopefully) maggot free, doused in beta-dine, and in our sick-chicken cage. I'm going to keep on with the beta-dine topically, but he has an apple-sized area of his butt that has no skin. I really think he should be on antibiotics too to keep out any secondary infections. But it is Saturday and I have no way to get any oral antibiotics until Monday morning. I keep Terramycin ointment on hand and terramycin is okay for chickens. What I have is an ointment (I keep it for eye issues) though. What do you think? Should I feed him some until I can get something better on Monday? Or should I just not put him on anything until I can get some oral Terramycin on Monday and hope for the best?

Thanks,

Rachel

2. Lehcarjt

Lehcarjt New Egg

Nov 7, 2013
    Never mind. I found a Tractor Supply that is open till 8 that has an antib for my roo. I can't figure out how to delete the original post though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by