Giving thanks for chickie love!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Noble Rooster, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Noble Rooster

Noble Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    NY
    So it's been kind of a rough few weeks -- I'm home with a colicky newborn [​IMG], feeling very housebound and sleep deprived and all the usual new mom stress. All the snow isn't helping matters either, for me or my girls, who are also a bit coopbound these days (they do get out to run around our barn but it's not the same as going outside). I woke up a little frustrated and blue today, but seeing the chickens this morning changed everything -- it's like they know when they need to turn on the extra cuteness and dole out the TLC! In addition to their usual antics while I did chores, all of them came up to me to ask for/give snuggles, even those who usually aren't that enthusiastic about being handled. [​IMG] [​IMG] So after about 20 straight minutes of petting and hugging the girls, my spirit was renewed, my energy was back, and I was able to return to colic soothing with a smile. [​IMG] Animals are the best, but chickens especially so: in addition to laying eggs to nourish the body, their sweetness nurtures the soul. [​IMG]

Just thought I'd share! Have you hugged your chickies today?

2. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Isnt it amazing how they can calm you? I can have the most stressful day and the sight of them and their little noises takes me down to calmness! I totally agree with you! Chicken Therapy~~~~~

3. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Once I was super upset, so I went to hold my chooks. All they did was cluck, but just being around them was so great I started laughing for no reason! Bok-bok therapy [​IMG]

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Well, I'm not a hug your chicken kinda person (but that's just me) but I love it when I go outside and it doesn't matter where in the yard they are (and I have a really big yard) they all make a beeline to the back porch!! So there I am standing amist 40 chickens all wanting treats!! LOVE it!! [​IMG]

5. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    Chicken TV is the best! hehehe I love watching my girls. There's something very claming about it. I am glad they brightened your day. And congrats on the baby!

6. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    Chickens really do make the world a better, happier place. [​IMG]

And they're much cheaper than a therapist. [​IMG]

7. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:Not mine! One hug equals about 3 handfuls of scratch! Now, what kind of therapist asks for 3 handfuls????
    [​IMG]

8. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    Love, love, LOVE my feathered therapists!!! And yes...I HAVE hugged a chicken today! [​IMG]

9. magistradomina

magistradomina Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Where I live.
    I spent most of my day outside and I let my chickens out to free range and I just love it when they cluck and make their funny noises! They make great therapists without even knowing it! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  10. Noble Rooster

Noble Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    NY
    Quote:Thank you! He's a love and I hate seeing him so uncomfortable. I'm looking forward to the warmer weather when he can come out for chicken therapy too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by