Giving the big guy the "what for!" ****PICS ADDED****

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tomhusker, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    Yesterday the wife and I converted our 8'x4' run into an outdoor brooder for our five fast growing 5 week old Jersey Giant chicks. Our BR's and Lavender Orps are now free ranging all day and don't need the run so we thought the little ones would like it more than the 3.5x2 box they are normally in.
    As will happen, the older chooks noticed the babies after an hour or so and began pacing the fence of the run. The little ones were pretty intimidated of course and would run from one end of the run to the other to stay away from them..... UNTIL....

Treat time.

I brought out some chopped cabbage for everyone and even dropped some into the run for the JG's. My BR rooster Dave was none too pleased with that and set to making a fuss. One of the blue JG's (I am thinking it is a roo, but it is a bit early) comes near the fence to get a chunk of cabbage and Dave tried to peck him though the wire. Instead of running, this little fella rose up and flared his hackles and fired right back before Dave could get away from the fence. Sure enough, one small barred feather floated down to the ground and Dave made a noise that I think he is still ashamed of this morning.

Dave was STEAMED!! He paced around that run for 15 minutes, clucking and shaking his head. And that little fella stood tall, stretching out his neck, almost willing himself to be as tall as that big ol' bully on the other side, all the while staring him down.

I wish I'd had my camera out for some video because it was the funniest thing I have seen since Dave beat up my wife's stupid little dog.

I think it put Dave in a bad mood though, because he took a shot at me when I was putting him up for the night. He didn't connect, but I did. I think he understands the pecking order now.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I know what ya mean ..... I guess we should just carry around a video camera all the time, eh? [​IMG]

Glad to know Dave understands the pecking order now! [​IMG]

3. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Yup, you've got to keep an eye on those Roos, I'm a bit surprised that the antagonist was a JG. They are normally very laid back.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  4. Tomhusker

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    To be fair, the BR started it. The JG "Just didn't play dat." [​IMG]

5. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:My JGs would just stand there and never fire back, the smallest bird in the flock always backed them down. They were certainly capable for firing back as they were at least twice the size of the others.

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I have the same thing with my Brahma boys......they back off from the little scrawny mutts. It sometimes seems the bigger, the less inclined to be bothered to fight.

Sandie

7. operator16

operator16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Colorado
    GREAT STORY! You tell it well. LMAO! What personality they have! Take some pictures of Big Dave and post please along with Little Man.

Keep the stories coming!

Quote:

8. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    That is the cutest story! I love it when the "under-chick" comes out on top! It's so adorable that the little guy wasn't the least bit intimidated by that big Roo!

9. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Gosh, I might need to borrow him to teach my Giants to be more assertive. Good for the little fella.

10. Tomhusker

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    Quote:I had the camera with me yesterday and caught one pic of the two of them in a stare down. I have a new camera and am still learning how to make it see through the fence, but it is not too bad.

[​IMG]

Here is Dave, taken a couple of days ago and edited for my desktop:
    [​IMG]

Here is the Blue. Love the early lacing that is showing up.
    [​IMG]

This is one of the blacks. It was very hard to get pics of them as they were very good at hiding.
    [​IMG]

Here is the splash and the dark blue.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by