Giving the girls a break

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tnmommy, Mar 9, 2014.

1. tnmommy

tnmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    Loretto, TN
    My girls are overbred and until we get the new coop and run built, there won't be room for any new hens to take some of the "heat."

I know I need to separate the rooster to give their feathers time to come back. One has started to molt and another has some feather shafts growing in, that are surely making the mounting painful. Would my rooster be more freaked out by being out of sight of the hens, or would that make him calmer?

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i have a couple roos with only fence separating them from the girls and they are wearing a path down trying to get in. if you have a place separate thats what i would do. surprisingly no fighting with the roos that are together.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't think it's going to matter one way or the other. Unless you have a very large property he'll still hear them. Either way, he's going to put up a big fuss. Just be prepared for it and accept he's going to be quite unhappy.

4. nanceann

nanceann Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2012
    Amsterdam, MO
    Can roosters that are a year old be neutered? We have 2 roos that are driving my 23 girls crazy. Way too bald backs.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Nope. They can be invited to dinner, though.

1 person likes this.
  6. tnmommy

Apr 14, 2013
    Loretto, TN
    He seems confused, when he calls them over to see the treats he found, they aren't joining him. Bless his heart. But the girls have been so calm since last night. I know they are enjoying the break. While I wouldn't have trusted him to stay calm last night after being moved, he let me hang out in his bachelor pad this morning for some petting. He's such a gentle guy, for a rooster. Didn't put up any fight while being carried to his new digs.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How old is he?

8. tnmommy

Apr 14, 2013
    Loretto, TN
    Almost one year

9. ChickenLegs13