Giving the roo a well deserved rest.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chixmix, Jan 10, 2014.

1. chixmix

chixmix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2013
    N.Carolina
    Is there a best way to separate your Roo from his hens so he can get a rest as to not stress out the hens too much? I just had to toss 5 eggs out of 16 for infertility. He has been 100% up til now.

2. otis7

otis7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Maryland
    I used to take my rooster inside sometimes when he was being a jerk as a "time out." (mostly just for fun, poor fella). He hated being away from his girls and would crow and crow, the girls could care less and went about their business. I think more often than not it's the hens that need a rest ;). Is he getting older?

3. chixmix

Nov 20, 2013
    N.Carolina
    No, he is just super vigor and constantly "on it" haha. Shooting a few blanks now. I just want him to have a break to build back up the protein and nutrients needed. He's around 1 year old now and never has taken a break since maturing. He's only with 3 hens, so I know he is depositing.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How did you determine that 5 out of 16 eggs were infertile?

5. chixmix

Nov 20, 2013
    N.Carolina
    At day ten of incubating, I candled, and removed 6 eggs. I always open eggs I remove from an incubator to see what went wrong, 5 didn't have the bullseye, one did.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Gotcha. Interesting to see if the rest will work.
    He'll probably be more upset than the hens.

7. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Are you using any supplemental lighting? A long time breeder/judge told me that he adds lighting this time of year to improve fertility. I haven't tested it out myself yet but in years past I have noticed that fertility this time of year is a lot lower than in the spring.

8. chixmix

Nov 20, 2013
    N.Carolina
    Yes, I let all my hens finish moulting, waited a couple weeks, then added lighting.

9. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Oh well, so much for that idea. I have been reading the Heritage Breeds thread and there are some that are also having fertility issues so I guess you aren't alone.

10. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

I read somewhere that fertility is usually less in the winter, but I can't remember if it was because of cold or less light.[​IMG]I'll have to see if I can find the magazine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by