Giving Up... Need Advice

Keeperoflock

Songster
Mar 10, 2018
Central Indiana
I have 17 chicks (16 hens, 1 rooster) that are 4 months, 2 weeks old. While taking care of them last week I fell and broke ribs and really injured myself. Hubby has been helping but last Saturday, he injured his back. We've talked together and made a difficult decision. Given our health and injuries we don't feel we can care for them even during the winter as it is a long walk to the coop for me. I'm too much of a fall risk now.

I've had them on Corrid for a severe outbreak of coccidiosis and have had them on the maintenance dose of 1/2 teaspoon for 2 weeks and only have 1 more week to go (they were started out on 2 weeks of 2 teaspoons a day). They are all doing great. No signs of red poops and everyone is eating, drinking and acting fine.

I have one hen that has been in a cage within the pen to reintroduce her after an injury for 3 weeks now. They just won't accept her back after trying every trick in the book. When we put her in with the others at night, the next morning it's an all out brawl and she's too outnumbered. And now, she's so scared and skittish around them, she knows she going to get attacked and she runs all over the place trying to get away from them. So I have to put her back in her pen (and she want to be in there too). I don't feel comfortable sending her with the rest of the flock.

Given her reaction around other chickens now is she going to be treated so badly with any other chickens?

MY OTHER QUESTION: Is it wise to rehome them while they are still on the maintenance dose? It's so difficult for us to take care of them now and we have NO ONE that can help us. I NEED to rehome them ASAP.

Thanks for helping

Sorry to hear all this. I would wait until medication is done and fully disclose to prospective owners the outbreak. You don't want them to bring it into another flock. Goid Luck and I hope you heal well.

Note: I undestand the injury thing. My hand was badly injured in a dog fight and it's been hard taking care of them with only one hand and not the hand I usually use.

So sorry to hear about your injuries, both you and your DH. What a shame! I can't help with the re-homing... If I were closer I would try. Barring success with the state thread, you may consider Craig's List, but I would NOT have folks come to your place to get the birds. I would make arrangements to meet them at a public place like a Walmart parking lot or something and deliver the birds there. With both of you injured and less mobile, you don't need strangers coming to "scope out" your place.

Back
Top Bottom