Giving water by eyedropper, is it the right thing to do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MydearWatson, May 6, 2011.

1. MydearWatson

MydearWatson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    CT
    I have a little Black Orpington, a little over a week old. She is definitley a bit slow. She hasn't figured out how to scratch yet, she is slow to learn where the food is and has a real problem finding the water. I think she has eyesight problems, definitley not blind but probably needs glasses. [​IMG] I had a white bowl for a waterer, they trashed it so I got a regular waterer and its red. She seems to do better with it (hence the theory of bad eyesight) but I've only seen her drink out of it once. Anyway, I've been feeding her water through an eyedropper to make sure she stays hydrated. I am pretty sure she was dehydrated for a few days but is now much better. I fed her some pedialyte today and she was soooo thirsty so I am assuming she is still having trouble getting the water. She did little cat purrs as I fed her the water, talk about heart melting! [​IMG] Anyway, will I make her too dependent on me by doing this or will she eventually figure it out? Anyone have a situation like this?

2. Hollywood Hen

Hollywood Hen Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    I have a couple of runts I've been helping along. It seems to be helping - what I do is dip their beaks in the water bowl and park them in front of it. Same with the food trough. They seem to be catching on, so hopefully they will start putting on some weight and catch up to the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by