Giving Wendy a Bath!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by aoxa, Jan 25, 2012.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I posted this on my blog: http://aoxaschickens.wordpress.com/2012/01/23/wendy-gets-a-bath/ , but I thought it was too cute to go unnoticed. Here are some pictures of Wendy's bubble bath :gig [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Note: If you ever give a polish chicken a bubble bath, you will understand how heavy their crests can get with water. I upside down dunk their heads to avoid getting water in their nose and mouth. Wendy is our indoor chicken for now. She almost died from the cold. She won't go back out until the temperatures are a little more reasonable. She's perfectly happy indoors for now, with an occasional visitor friend. :)

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Adorable! I want a Polish chicken some day. Are they less cold hard than other breeds?

3. blitz1027

blitz1027 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Natchitoches
    I had a Polish rooster that decided to sleep out in the rain one really cold night and the next morning his head was frozen solid. That's the first time I've ever given a chicken a bath. I was scared to death that he was going to die but he made it.

4. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Glad Wendy made it - and the rooster. Great pictures!

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Adorable Photos [​IMG]

6. aoxa

If they get their crest wet, it can be dangerous. My Wendy has never seemed hardy. I have a buff laced polish hen that is very good in the cold. I guess it all just depends on the individual chicken.

7. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh she looks so clean and happy...I am so scared to bath my girls but I will have to

8. aoxa

It's really easy, and she especially likes the blow-dry treatment :D

9. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Most of my chickens really do not seem to mind baths.... with some actually seeming to enjoy it. Their bodies go limp and their legs stretch out and I just have to make sure their heads don't go under, as their so flaccid. They REALLY like the blow dry at the end as well.

10. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    Aww... great bath time pictures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by