Giving yogurt to quails

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TerraLinda, Sep 6, 2014.

1. TerraLinda

TerraLinda Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2014
    i decided to give my quails yogurt, for health benefits. To make it easier to eat, I mixed it with some crushed grains (millet, corn, soy, sunflower seed), and gave it to them in a 2-cup glass ramekin.

They take turns bathing in it! The male got in first, and got himself thoroughly covered in grains and yogurt. The ladies followed. For the moment I have the ugliest, messiest birds on Earth. The stuff is flying out of the coop and all over my patio. I got some in my face.

Is there a better way to give yogurt to the birds? How you do it?

2. funsized72

funsized72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2014
    SF bay area CA
    Sorry I laughed[​IMG]! I think you should just call it quit with the yogurt cuz that sounds horrible to go through. How did you clean them?

3. TerraLinda

Jul 18, 2014
    I'll just let them dry, them add fresh sand to their sand box, and let them clean themselves. Washing quails is too traumatic for them, and too labor-intensive for me. But they do look horrible right now!

Next time I'll add yogurt to one of the waterers, plain water in another one, and see which one they drink.

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Instead of giving them yogurt they actually make a probiotic for birds.....It's called ProBios.

5. TerraLinda

Jul 18, 2014
    Thank you! I'll get it.

6. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

You can also give them vitsol if you're concerned about vitamin intake. It's for birds and most pet stores carry it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by