GL Cochin x Black Cochin Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ellie, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Here is Autumn (I think) my cochin at a little over 4 months old. Do you think male or female? The cochin hatched at the same time is crowing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    That is a Rooster.

Chris

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sorry, Ellie, I told you I thought Autumn was an Adolph (or whatever name floats your boat, LOL). [​IMG] The shiny bright orangey wing feathers are very definitely a male trait. You just don't see those on pullets. Cochins or Cochin crosses rarely have huge combs so it can take awhile for those rooster feathers to show up so you can reliably sex it; that, and the saddle feathers.

4. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Rooster.

5. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Dang...thanks though. Someday, I will learn to see things like y'all do. I need to learn how to do this better. In the meantime, I'm glad you are here.

6. speckledhen

He's kind of handsome. Are you going to keep him? I know you really just wanted your GL Cochin rooster, not necessarily a mixed breed.

7. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I am going to keep this one and the black cochin rooster as back up until Spring unless they cause trouble. Then they are gone. Harvey, the GL rooster is boss. He is so easy going that he can get run over by an assertive roo. These two have cause no issues at all though. I think I have found my favorite roosters: cochins.

8. speckledhen

Good idea to keep a back up rooster; that is, if you don't want to wait while you hatch and grow out a new one if something happens to good old Harvey.

9. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:if u ever need to get rid of any of ur cochin roos..or any roos i know someone who would gladly take them lol. she lives in Winton CA. she loves her birds. there all taken care of sooo well.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  10. haemony

haemony Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2011
    WV

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by