GL Polish, girl or boy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by carolinasculpture, Apr 6, 2011.

1. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! I posted these on the Polish thread, but thought a broader audience might get me "better" odds. [​IMG] They are Golden Lace Polish from a feed store and are about 3 days old in the pics.

First is Sunflower:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then Marigold:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Our DD who is seven just had to have one, likes the funny hair. DH thought we should get 2 and hope one is a female. We have no experience with Polish, so what do you all think? Thanks!

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Whoa...on these you'll probably have to wait until the crest comes in. Males have pointier crests whereas females have more rounded crests.

You may have more difficulty because the crests don't look like they'll be very large.

3. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:X2. Hold your horses, and sit tight. You're just gonna have to wait!

4. carolinasculpture

Mar 21, 2010
    Thanks! [​IMG] I had a link from the Polish page that showed sexing them by the crest when it was just fuzz....but these don't have much fuzz! We'll try to be patient.

5. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    Can't help you with the sexing, but I just had to say how cute they are!

6. KirkKoop

KirkKoop Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    My GLP looked the same as a baby...now it's about 6 wks old. I have no idea if it's boy or girl either!

[​IMG]

7. carolinasculpture

Mar 21, 2010
    He/She is cute! I hope mine turn out as well! I am glad it isn't just me that can't tell. Not much of a crest to go by.

8. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    There is a polish breeder here (can't remember her name) that has pictures of sexing really young polish. She has a website: http://www.swpoultry.com/CindySite/Sexing_Polish.html

You
    may be able messange her with your photos. She says the rounded puffy in front ones are girls and the ones that are oval and flattened in front are boys. Its hard to tell by your photos, but you may be ble to take this info and look at them in person and tell better.

They sure are cute, though! If I had to make a choice, it looks like Sunflower's puff is more flattended=boy and Marigold's puff is more rounded in front=girl, but I am no expert at all!

9. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    They can only be sexed with some accuracy by the crest shape if it has a vaulted skull, and yours don't. Also, being that they aren't vaulted, the crests won't feather in the same as vaulted ones do, so it will take longer to figure out.

10. carolinasculpture

Mar 21, 2010
    Thanks for more info! Dretd, that is the link I started with. At the feed store, the SL looked like those, but these seemed to be much less dramatic. Acid chipmunk, thanks...didn't know anything about the skull shape! I love learning all the new stuff from you All!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by