GL Polish, girl or boy?

carolinasculpture

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2010
Hi! I posted these on the Polish thread, but thought a broader audience might get me "better" odds.
smile.png
They are Golden Lace Polish from a feed store and are about 3 days old in the pics.

First is Sunflower:
51723_sunflower1.jpg

51723_sunflower2.jpg

Then Marigold:
51723_marigold1.jpg

51723_marigold2.jpg

Our DD who is seven just had to have one, likes the funny hair. DH thought we should get 2 and hope one is a female. We have no experience with Polish, so what do you all think? Thanks!

Whoa...on these you'll probably have to wait until the crest comes in. Males have pointier crests whereas females have more rounded crests.

You may have more difficulty because the crests don't look like they'll be very large.

Thanks!
smile.png
I had a link from the Polish page that showed sexing them by the crest when it was just fuzz....but these don't have much fuzz! We'll try to be patient.

My GLP looked the same as a baby...now it's about 6 wks old. I have no idea if it's boy or girl either!

IMG_3639.jpg

He/She is cute! I hope mine turn out as well! I am glad it isn't just me that can't tell. Not much of a crest to go by.

There is a polish breeder here (can't remember her name) that has pictures of sexing really young polish. She has a website: http://www.swpoultry.com/CindySite/Sexing_Polish.html

You
may be able messange her with your photos. She says the rounded puffy in front ones are girls and the ones that are oval and flattened in front are boys. Its hard to tell by your photos, but you may be ble to take this info and look at them in person and tell better.

They sure are cute, though! If I had to make a choice, it looks like Sunflower's puff is more flattended=boy and Marigold's puff is more rounded in front=girl, but I am no expert at all!

They can only be sexed with some accuracy by the crest shape if it has a vaulted skull, and yours don't. Also, being that they aren't vaulted, the crests won't feather in the same as vaulted ones do, so it will take longer to figure out.

Thanks for more info! Dretd, that is the link I started with. At the feed store, the SL looked like those, but these seemed to be much less dramatic. Acid chipmunk, thanks...didn't know anything about the skull shape! I love learning all the new stuff from you All!

Back
Top Bottom