1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Glad I did not cull chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by madelynbelle, May 6, 2009.

1. madelynbelle

madelynbelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    PUGET SOUND
    I had 3 chicks that were stuck in the shell. So I carefully peeled them out. They were so dry everything had stuck to them like paper mache. One of them could only lay on its back with legs straight out...unable to do anything but cry and twitch its legs. Could not pull them up or roll over. It was like this for 12 hours, hard to watch and I thought I should put it out of its misery. I thought this is what I get for trying to intervene as it probably was not meant to hatch. This morning the same, took a shower and came back and it was on its feet. Just gave it a warm bath to get the rest of the stuck stuff off and popped it back in the incubator. Looks like all 3 are going to make it. They never would have gotten out of the shell on their own as they were glued in tight. I am wondering if once they have been open for over 24 hours and not made progress if they just dry out. My humidity was good in the incubator but they still dried out. Glad I did not let my emotions take over. So is the chick. yesterday was day 22 and all the other chicks that hatched did so on Day 21. I still have 11 eggs that have not done anything, so I am hoping for a miracle....or at least a few more chicks.

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Congrats on helping your chicks. I would have done the same, I can't help myself. [​IMG]

3. madelynbelle

madelynbelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    PUGET SOUND
    Funny thing....half of my kids would not be here today if they did not get some assistance at birth, premature. Not that kids and chickens are the same, but I feel you should give it your best shot. I would have felt bad if I sat on my hands and let nature take over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by