1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Glad to be here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ladybug7718, Mar 22, 2011.

1. ladybug7718

ladybug7718 New Egg

Mar 22, 2011
    My husband, daughter (age 5) and I have been wanting to raise chickens for a while, even though we have a fairly small back yard in the suburbs. So glad to be able to ask questions to lots of people with experience! We are hoping to pick up some Rhode Island Reds in a couple of weeks (probably 2). What do ya'll think of Dominiques? Our feed store will have them the same time as the Reds. We thought about getting a couple of them as well. I live in lower Alabama, and it gets HOT in the summer, but we have fairly mild winters. Any info would be appreciated! Look forward to many chats! [​IMG]

2. [​IMG] from SE Missouri; good luck with your chickens!

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

[​IMG] from Mississippi

4. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Welcome from NY and domoniques and RIR are to good breeds to start out with.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. The only thing about the Dominiques is they lay medium size eggs about 3 per week but they are calm. Not as good as the RIR. Good luck [​IMG]

7. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ocala, FL.

I started with a couple RIR's, along with a BR and they made it through the FL summers ok, so you should be fine.

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Pride, La. You'll learn all you need to know here!! I know the RIR's will take out southern heat fine and I've have friends with Dominiques and they don't have any problems either!!

9. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from John in Ohio [​IMG]

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! GLad you joined us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by