glad to finally have joined

worldrob

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 21, 2013
Black Creek,BC, canada
Hi everyone. All of your info posted here has been so helpful. I am on my second year of raising chickens. Unfortunately our first flock was taken out slowly and annoyingly by raccoons. Now we have 3 Plymouth Rock's, 10 brown hens (not sure breed, just hybrid layers) and a beautiful RIR Roo.
I've just ordered an auto chicken door, and looking forward to being able to know the flock is safe each night.
We just went through our first really cold week of winter here so I have been trying to find ways to keep the waterers thawed. I found a neat design online involving a cheap lamp and cookie tin, so I will give it a try starting today.
Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks Rob

Welcome! I'm slowly taking out the raccoons around her before they discover our chickens. ... get a good live trap and a .22... miniature marshmallows work great as bait.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

No matter how many predators you trap, shoot or otherwise kill, there will always be another to take their place. Best protection is a well-built coop and run.

Hi and :welcome

Good luck with the water and the raccoons!
It's always quite warm here so we're mostly concerned with keeping our water from evaporating while we're gone. :lol: But I've heard of people using portable stoves, I think it was. The cookie tin idea sounds good though. :p

Enjoy the site. :D

Last edited:
Thanks so much!We tried live trapping, but no luck. I was told it's likely that the coons had been trapped previously. They are incredibly smart animals. Anyway as muttsfan said, it has more to do with the coop, and making sure the door is closed every night.

Back
Top Bottom