Gladys or Glenn?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LadyJane8, Apr 19, 2016.

1. LadyJane8

LadyJane8 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    Newport, PA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my dear Cornish Rock, Gladys...or so we've dubbed the chick. We have had our chicks for 18 days, though I would assume Glad is 20 or 21? Of course they are different breeds, but Glad has obvious comb and wattle development where my ISAs and Amberlinks, all pullets, do not. Clearly the jumbo size of this beaut is due to being a meat bird.

Who would like to venture a guess as to the actual gender of my friend?? I'm leaning toward roo, but not giving up hope that I could still have a hen.

It ain't over till the fat chicken crows!!

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Glenn.

3. MaratManor

MaratManor Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Brunswick, Georgia

X2

4. BeachMomma

BeachMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2015
    NC
    X3 for Glenn

Early combs and wattles are sure signs of a male, especially if they're pinkish already.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  5. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    X4

6. LadyJane8

LadyJane8 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    Newport, PA
    We've decided against Glenn and have gone with "Glad the Inhaler" for our fella! He certainly isn't starving!! [​IMG]

As this is our first time with chickens, we are going to give Glad a try and see how he does once the brood head outside and in the coop. We hadn't wanted to keep a rooster, but we've grown fond of our husky boy and neither my husband or I could handle the "deed" ourselves. If in a few weeks/months time we don't think he's a fit for our little operation, I will attempt to "re-home" him.

And while "re-homing" is likely to mean something completely different, and rightly so by nature of what type of bird he is, it makes me feel better...

1 person likes this.
  7. BeachMomma

BeachMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2015
    NC
    Cockerels get quite hormonal around 4 months, that's when they enter "teenage" phase. If you consistently handle him as he's growing it'll make a big difference in my opinion.

Here's what I normally post for members needing help with rooster behavior. Someone shared the link at the very bottom of my quote to me when our guy was 2 wks, he's now a yr old and still mild mannered for me because I knew what to do and how to handle his behavior as he grew up.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If you plan on keeping him past 10 weeks old, you're going to need to limit his feed to control the growth rate. Starting now, remove the feed entirely during the nighttime hours. In two weeks, start rationed feedings 3 times a day. By 6 weeks, he should be down to 2 feedings a day. This feed rationing needs to be maintained for the rest of his life. And you'll need to encourage him to move around. Put the food and water as far from the 'warm' zone as possible, and take them outside for 'field trips' as much as you can. Another issue is that due to their huge size, (if he lives long enough) he may be too big to breed the pullets without injuring them.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by