1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

glands

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by greenthumb89, Jun 13, 2008.

1. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    is there a way to express a dogs glands without going to the vet? shes having a hard time doing it herself and just looks at me when she fails. normally she can do it by herself

2. glowworm

glowworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    You can do it yourself. HOWEVER, dogs can get their anals impacted, and at that point you will need to see a vet.

here's how to express normal glands. You will need exam gloves and lube. KY or vaseline is okay. Have some baby wipes or paper towel and mild soap available. I like to give my dog a full rear end shampoo after.

If you are not sure how your dog will react you will need a qualified holder and possiblity a muzzle. Keep in mind if your dog is impacted it can be painful. 'Fussy' dogs may cry out or even bite even if its not actually hurting them.

The glands are located at 8 and 4 o clock, one on each side. You want to be outside or in a bathtub for this. Put your gloves on and a bit of lube on your index finger. Use your right hand for the dogs left side and vice versa. Insert your index finger into the dogzs anus about an inch (for average size dog). You should feel a small (grape)(or sometimes it can be very large (walnut) with very full or impacted dogs) bulge. Using your thumb on the outside of the dog, you can squeeze the gland with moderate pressure, kinda like you were trying to pop a grape between both fingers. You might have to try a couple spots before you are able to release any fluid or paste. If you can't feel a bulge it means that gland is emptied at this time.

You shouldn't have to apply excessive pressure to release the glands..take your dog to the vet if you can't easily do it. picky glands can rupture if they are impacted too long, and they also are prone to infection; neither you want to deal with.

This is the way your vet office expresses glands. At groomers (at least in CA) they are not allowed to insert their finger because its considered medical if they do. I don't know how to do it this way...maybe someone else here does. I do know that the groomer way is almost impossible to express if the dog is on their way to being impacted.

Some dogs will need their glands emptied by a person on a regular basis. Signs they need it done is scooting (but keep in mind scooting is often a symptom of other problems, like worms) and licking the area. I do one of my dogs monthly myself otherwise she will once and awhile express in the house and I hate the smell! LOL

let me know if you have any questions.

3. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    How can you tell when a dog needs to have it's glands expressed? Do most dogs naturally express themselves or need help? Sorry dumb ? but I really don't know.

4. glowworm

glowworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    SacraTomato, CA
    Most dogs naturally express when they poop. It's thought that firm poop helps because it creates more pressure. That said, a small percentage of dogs will still have problems even though their poop is firm.

Signs they need to be expressed: Scooting, licking or chewing (chewing/biting the tail base is also a sign of fleas). If they release small amounts here and there you will be able to smell it (fishy, skunky odor). Some dogs only smell a bit and others are horrid.

How often it needs to be done depends on the dog. Some might need it up to every 2 weeks, others 6 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by