Glass beaders

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by GracefulBantams, Feb 21, 2009.

1. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I was browsing through a website the other day and noticed some adorable glass lampwork beads. Do any of you work with this kind of beads? Any suggestions on where to buy them and the supplies needed?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The fancier ones are made by individual artists, that often have their own web sites and also go to bead shows. Then there are simpler ones sold by bead companies, that may be carried by a variety of the larger online bead suppliers or in local bead stores.

Have you worked with beads before? Do you need help on what type of supplies you need to make jewelry? That type of information?

3. WoodlandWoman

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Here's a few links.

I've gotten a lot of stuff from Fire Mountain Gems. They'll send a free catalog to browse and it's huge.
    http://www.firemountaingems.com/

I've ordered from Shipwreck Beads, but don't like their site as well. They also have a catalog, but you have to pay for it. I think you get the money back on your first order. Lots of people like them, too.
    http://www.shipwreckbeads.com/
    I don't know why, but this link isn't showing up in this message. It's "shipwreckbeads" with the typical www and .com on it. I don't know why BYC isn't letting it go through to the forum. Maybe it's your destiny to shop at Fire Mountain Gems! [​IMG]

I like this beading wire, for jewelry. They also have other findings for sale and ideas.
    http://www.beadalon.com/

You can also go to Google and look for things.

If you want to make jewelry with beads, you need something to string it on and a clasp of some sort. I like beading wire a lot. Lampwork beads usually have good sized holes. With a larger hole, you could also use a cord or ribbon of some type. There are lots of cords for sale on any of those sites. There are also lots of different types of clasps you can get. Sometimes there's a jewelry finding that connects the stringing material to the clasp. It just depends on how you want to do it. That's for necklaces and bracelets.

For earrings, just take an earring finding, like an ear wire or a clip-on and a head pin.

You might need a little pliers or wire clippers/nippers. It just depends on what you want to get into.

Once you start looking at some of this, you might start to get an idea of what you like.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  4. mcg30_40

mcg30_40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    alabama
    Quote:I bought some the other day off ebay. They are bluebirds and I've been hunting some birdnest w/eggs charms to use with them.... no luck! I want to make some earrings with them, I think they would make a great mother's day present for my mom.

5. WoodlandWoman

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    That sounds beautiful!

6. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I wanted to let you know that those do exist! In fact, I just saw a picture of some today... let me try to find it again [​IMG]

7. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    WoodlandWoman, thanks so much for the information and links [​IMG] I ordered the FMG catalog! [​IMG]

8. WoodlandWoman

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    That catalog is so wonderful to look through! Lots of eye candy in there. [​IMG]

9. Ft Chix

Ft Chix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2009
    you can get some good ones on ebay. You have to look often though

10. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Oriental Trading Company has a whole bead catalog (online also), glass beads..cheap, cheap!! I do piles of things with beads, jewelry and christmas ornaments too, I have a bead stash that rivals my yarn and fabric stashes, lol! Never made any lampwork beads though although I loe them..Michaels is a good source for beads too, especially to buy a strand with a 40% off coupon! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by