glass or acrylic or nothing...? please help...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gumbii, May 5, 2011.

1. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    okay, so i found this wine cooler at this local store... it works, but the front door tempered glass is broken... they're selling it to me for uber cheap, so i might pick it up and bator-ize it...

now my questions is... should i replace the front piece of glass with, glass...? acrylic...? or just leave it be... it still seals great and everything... my friend told me that i might not need it... but when i cut out the window i used two pieces of acrylic... i can get tempered glass cut, but it's still gonna look ugly no matter what i do...

any opinions will help me out greatly...

thx...

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I have not built a bator, but I would replace the broken glass with either acrylic or glass (which ever I could get for the best price).

It would worry me, using it with broken glass - because I would worry that one "wrong" bump could cause the glass to shatter.

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I didn't think tempered glass would shatter at all? Isn't that the reason it's tempered, to keep that from happening? Maybe I'm wrong there.

I'd have no problem with using it broken so long as it's stable and seals well. Just my 2 dollars (which is about what that 2 cents was worth when the saying originated [​IMG] )

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    tempered glass will not crack... if it is hit just right it will instantly break into a million pieces.. all about the size of large corn kernels.. If your glass is cracked, then it is ust plain glass..

If you have a choice, replace it with a thick piece of glass , like 1/4".. acrylic gets pitted and scratched and dull in time and is difficult to see through..

5. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    I personally use plexi glass for that type of stuff. Looks good, cuts easy, and doesn't shatter.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    chickens don't care about ughleee, so you shouldn't either. Safety factors tho are a priority. You don't want something cracked to pop into a million pieces.
    My mother had a cracked pyrex roasting pan and she put a piece of scotch tape over the crack. It didn't break in all the years she did that but, what a risk she was taking. I can't believe the scotch tape even lasted thru the heat of an oven and washing etc. Maybe she kept replacing the tape, I don't know.

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The whole point of using a wine cooler is that it comes with a nice built-in glass door. So I can't see the point of buying one with broken glass. You don't need the electronics or the cooling system.

8. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    thanks for the advice guys... i forgot i made this thread... LOL... it was late at night...

um...

the reason i want to use it because it seals great, and it's brand new... i won't use the electronics, or anything but it is better than my old mini fridge-a-bator... like i said, it has two pieces of glass both tempered, one in the front and one in the back... yes it's shattered into a billion pieces... but my neighbor works with glass, and i can get it cut to any shape... i'm thinking about using laminated glass since it will be cheap... he will also replace it for me while i work on the bator... i think i'm going to get it... but now i'm broke... LOL... need to sell some cockerels and pullets soon or i might not pick it up...

i don't know how i'll be putting my turner into this cooler... i kind of want it with more racks, so i would need to get a bigger motor... i'll probably use it but with a manual turner...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by