Glass or no glass?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by momofthehouse, Feb 19, 2014.

1. momofthehouse

momofthehouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2014
    Seabeck, wa
    On windows for coops I know you put hardcloth wire in but do you put glass for the window or plexy or what? We have lovely wind and rain storms and I worry about the glass being broken by a branch or something and harming the chickens. When constructing a permanent walk in coop what do you typically use for window material?

2. CrazyChickGirl

CrazyChickGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2014
    We are using 2 real windows in our coop (building it right now) and one "open" window with just hardware cloth.

3. LaurelC

LaurelC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2013
    Bothell, WA
    If you're concerned about glass breaking, why not just get a thin piece of plexi? You can frame it pretty easily and it is far less prone to shattering than actual glass.

4. AtholCoop

AtholCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    North Idaho
    I used to use glass all the time. After numerous broken panes from things as stupid as a lawnmower I gave up.
    [​IMG]

Now I'm all about these shutter type windows. Nothing to break easy to build and they work awesome. In fact my other coop has a broken window in it right now. Before it gets a new flock of birds It's getting replaced with a shutter.

5. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    We use actual windows in our coops, our old coop had a some what large window that was taken out of an old garage then we put wire over it, my current coop has two vinyl windows I bought out of the clearance rack at a local building store for quite cheap, these are normal windows one would put in a home. I have never had a broken pane yet and I have my coops among many trees and branches. A limb would have to fall just right in order to take out my windows. Also I don't mow around my coop area so I don't worry about mower throwing rocks etc.

6. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Plexiglass is strong and ideal if you want a fixed window or want to make a hinged frame yourself. I just buy and install double hung windows with glass since they are cheap and they are easy to slide open for fresh air. I had to add wire fencing cages around the outside of the windows to keep the goats from breaking the glass. The windows come with screens that you can beef up with hardware cloth if you choose. 2' x 3' double hung windows can be had for 20 to 25 bucks at Home Depot or Lowes.

[​IMG]

7. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Coop has glass. The Chunnel I used plexiglass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. momofthehouse

momofthehouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2014
    Seabeck, wa
    Thanks guys good ideas and feedback!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by