Glass thermometer with the Brinsea ECO20

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Spangled, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    Okay, I know this is a long shot. This question is for the people who have a Brinsea thermometer and have had the blue stuff (not mercury actually, but is blue) separate.

The alcohol (or whatever it is) in the thermometer separated and I've got one degree's worth of blue stuff that is 20 degrees higher than the rest of the blue stuff.

What did you do to the thermometer to get the two sections of alcohol to reunite? I have the Brinsea ECO20 Octagon or whatever the proper term is for it.

I have already shaken and shaken until my wrist and arm ached, and I thought for sure I'd have a repetitive stress injury.

I've heard running it under very hot water would work, but I haven't tried that. I've heard about heating it in oil on a bunsen burner (thanks to the internet) but haven't tried that either. I also tried tapping and tapping it on something to get the blue stuff to go down to the bottom, but that didn't work.

I know I could buy another, but I'd rather just fix this one. It costs $10 plus s&h of ... well, their s&h for the incubator alone was something like $30, so who knows what the s&h would be. It's not under their guarantee because I didn't fill out the form on their web site last January after receiving the incubator -- it never occurred to me it could break because it came so highly recommended. Silly me.

How did you fix your your Brinsea glass thermometer when it separated?

2. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    I've never heard of the contents separating. I know you said you are bent on fixing it, but if there is something wrong with the thermometer already, would you trust it to give you an accurate reading when incubating your eggs? I'd say bite the bullet and get a new thermometer. Even if you manage to reconstitute the alcohol mix within the thermometer, you'd be risking a 0 hatch rate if it's inaccurate. If you pay for eggs, weigh that cost against the cost of a new thermometer. Which amount would you rather throw away?

Note- I have 2 Brinsea Eco 20s with the autoturn cradle.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  3. Spangled

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    Yep, bent on fixing it. I used it through probably 4 hatches last spring/summer with it broken. (I was in the middle of an incubation period when I noticed.) I just add the extra degree of blue up above to the lower blue reading. It's easy to check the incubator with any other number of thermometers (both standard and electronic) I've got squirrelled away (always try to keep a back up on hand) for use with my styrobator or in the brooders. The Brinsea maintains the temp I set it on with excellent consistency. I bet yours does, too.

No eggs will be risked in my desire to fix this thermometer. [​IMG]

4. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    You're more bold than I! Maybe someone else will know how to get the liquids back into a single, er, drop? Good luck!

5. KLRA

KLRA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Lane County, OR
    Had the same thing with mine when I got my Brinsea in the mail. Just stick the tip in hot water and the blue stuff will merge when it rises. I got another thermometer/hygrometer combo which, when calibrated, showed it was spot-on so I trust that over the liquid thermometer that came with my incubator. It constantly reads 2 degrees higher than my calibrated thermo-hygrometer!

6. Spangled

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    Thanks! I guess I will be brave and give it a try later or in the morning. I guess I have nothing to lose, but some of the internet instructions gave warnings and such and I don't feel like dealing with broken glass should something go dreadfully wrong.

7. KLRA

Oct 11, 2011
    Lane County, OR
    Well really you just need the water to be, at most, the max temperature shown on the thermometer. How high is it? Like 120 or something? I'm at work so I can't look at mine. I think the exploding glass happens when people use water that's way too hot. You could probably just use warm water out of your tap... no need to microwave or boil.

8. Spangled

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    Thanks, KLRA. I appreciate your help. I ended up trying it before I read your reply. While I was boiling some golden beets for dinner, I realized it was the perfect time! So I tried running hot water over the thermometer, but I think our thermostat is set too low because it did go up, but then got stuck. So I took the beets out of the pan, turned off the burner, put on an oven mitt and some glasses for eye protection, and put the bulb in the water in the pan. The blue alcohol? shot up the shaft lightning fast, and I pulled the thermometer out of the water immediately (hoping to avoid scary explosion of glass). The blue alcohol overtook the tiny smidge of separated blue alcohol and some went into the tiny resevoir at the top of the thermometer. The blue stuff went down the shaft very quickly after I pulled the thermometer from the water. Easy as pie! All the blue stuff is together now. Problem solved. Now, I've just go to put the incubator back together and figure out if it's correct or not.

9. KLRA

Oct 11, 2011
    Lane County, OR
    Woohoo! I was totally into that mini-story... felt like I was right there watching your experiment in the kitchen. Glad it worked for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by