Glavanized waterer stopped up?!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hayduke27, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Hayduke27

Hayduke27 Songster

Apr 11, 2013
    Gunnison, CO
    Hi all. I have a galvanized waterer for my chickens, about 3 gallons I think. It has an internal water container with an outer shell that slides over and triggers the flow mechanism. I currently have it sitting on cinder blocks up off the ground.

I have been noticing that at times, the tray seems to have very little water in it, and the chickens have trouble getting a drink from the shallow bit left in the tray. I then go in to the run and pull up on the handle, and can hear the vacuum seal break, and water flows out and fills the tray. I have found myself having to do this once a day. Why does the vacuum seal keep stopping the water flow? Would this change if I hung the waterer? I considered drilling a small hole in it, but was afraid that would cause all of the water to spill out at once.

I have also been considering the winter watering issue before I modify anything. It gets extremely cold here, and I probably won't want the trays to have super deep water in them at that time, as it will lead to wet waddles.

Has anybody else encountered/fixed this problem?

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Songster

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    A couple of things come to mind. Is the platform it is on level? There is a small rod/pin on that is pushed back when the outer cylinder is in place that allows the water to flow. Check that the rod/pin isn't too short or bent in a way that it won't open the hole. There is a rubber or plastic washer on that rod that could have moved to keep the hole closed and the spring isn't strong enough to push the rod through the washer to position it properly. That assembly is not really needed for the vacuum to work. It just slows the flow while the outer cylinder is put in place. When it gets cold enough in the coop to freeze the water, I just change to an open rubber tub. Never had a problem with frozen wattles.

1 person likes this.
  3. Hayduke27

Hayduke27 Songster

Apr 11, 2013
    Gunnison, CO
    Thank you for the reply. The waterer in nearly brand new, and all mechanisms are working just fine. It doesn't run out of water, but the water in the bottom of the trough just gets very shallow. When I give a little pull on the handle on top, I can hear the seal break and water rushes out, filling the pan.

I had wondered about the level issue. It's close to level, but not perfect, and I don't know if that would throw it off. I am seriously considering just hanging this beast, seems like the constant upward pressure on the handle would keep the seal broken, but that may just be optimism.

So far as the winter watering goes, I like the idea of an open rubber tub, in part because I think I will need 2 (1 stays inside for replacement of the other when it freezes up). We have weeks, sometimes more than a month at a time below zero day and night, and many nights below -20, so I am trying to consider all options for the polar winter ahead! Luckily, we have near 0% humidity, so at least it's a dry cold!

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Songster

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Got curious and measured the water level in my old one, half inch with another half to the rim. Oh and when I pull up on the handle, that pulls air in and allows more water to flow out, and the water level is beyond its normal level. Could be, on yours the outer wall and the inner are too close and form a seal that is broken with your tugging. Hanging it might work. The chickens may jostle it enough to break the vacuum.

1 person likes this.
  5. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Songster

BTW, on the frozen wattle issue, try a smear of vaseline on them . It helps a lot!

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

One of my waterers does that too on occasion but not every day.

I love galvanized waterers...have found the 5 gallon ones to work better than the smaller ones and yes they do need to be level. Some of them are pickier than others.

1 person likes this.
  7. Hayduke27

Hayduke27 Songster

Apr 11, 2013
    Gunnison, CO
    Thanks for the good advice everyone! I am going to level the waterer today. If that doesn't do it, I'll try hanging it. When the thing is working right, it's a great way to water the chickies!

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If you hang it the small metal pin may break but many people hang them anyway.

9. califarmgirl

califarmgirl Chirping

May 7, 2013
    Inland Valley, CA
    Mine does the same thing and when I re-read the instructions I found it is meant to be hung. That's why water flows out when you lift the handle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: