Gledig Jul!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by aussieheelr, Dec 21, 2009.

1. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes it is Chrismas time, Merry Christmas! This year is the first year we'll be hosting Christmas at our house. Married for 1.5 years now and Mom-in-Law and I are making the spread. DH's family is more traditional American Christmas... I grew up with Norwegian dinner: Lutefisk, Sweedish meatballs, lefse, Sut Supe, Krumcaka.
    So we're compramising, no lutefisk but we will have meatballs.

What is your family traditions for Christmas that you MUST carry on?

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    A christmas ham!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I just love spending time with family... and napping....

4. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Send me some Krumkake. I've promised it to my boys for Christmas, and I have to make Julekage too.

We're having ham this year. Dh's family either does Swedish Meatballs or Beef Stroganoff. We will probably have one of those on Christmas Eve.

5. mom'sfolly

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Send me some Krumkake. I've promised it to my boys for Christmas, and I have to make Julekage too.

We're having ham this year. Dh's family either does Swedish Meatballs or Beef Stroganoff. We will probably have one of those on Christmas Eve.

Such as sacrafice, giving up the Lutefisk. :[​IMG]

6. chrisf

chrisf Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    glaedelig Jul!.........I grew up in a Danish household with lots of traditional foods............

7. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know WHAT we're having... maybe salmon... depends on if my mom's coming.. we've got a HUGE ham in the freezer, but we're saving it for our new years party.

8. mom'sfolly

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Sorry about the double post. Swedish meatballs have gotten easier for me with Ikea about 5 miles away. I still like the ones I make from scratch better, but the Ikea ones are good and sooooo easy. My kids take the lingonberries and mix them with the meatballs....ewwwww!!!! Last Christmas we were back in Minnesota for the holidays, and dh's aunt was asking how many meatballs to cook. She was shocked, she's used to cooking for a couple of old people, not growing boys who eat their weight every other day.

I would like some lefse for Christmas, but I don't know how to make it and I don't know anywhere that sells it. Anything that is meant to be eaten with butter and sugar deserves a place at the Christmas table.

9. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh gosh Lefse is SO easy, there's even an easy recipe on the internet that uses instant potato instead of having to boil and rice your own!
    Sorry won't have Krumkake in time for Christmas this year and my mom is tired of making it so instead she's giving me the iron this year so I can make it next year.
    We also traditionally serve Krumkake with cake at weddings too! My Bestamore had to make 5 doz. for our wedding... mmm. DH's family kept looking for icecream to go in it LOL.

Julekage! Oh haven't had that in years! With a little butter and Rulepulse (sp?) is so dang good, can't find a deli that makes Rulepulse here though [​IMG] makes the best sandwich

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by