Gleet? Cocci? Something else?? Help! :(

glloyd203

Chirping
Apr 27, 2017
I posted several days ago about a hen with a bloody vent/prolapse and possible vent gleet. Well, the prolapse seemed to have been the least of our issues because that cleared up when I popped it back in, but now I have FIVE hens who seem to have vent gleet or something similar. These birds are all on the older side, around 5. The first two got epsom salt baths and have been separated in chicken hospital (dog crate in the garage) for several days, with ACV in their water and yogurt daily. A third one joined them when I saw that she was having the liquid poops as well, and she was a younger hen about 2 years old, and within a few hours of moving her into chicken hospital, I found her dead. Such a horrible mystery and so sad. Now, it's been a few days and everyone else seemed fine, but I just went to check on the girls after being away all day and THREE MORE have this horror story around their vents. Dried blood, diarrhea, just awful. I have no idea what this is or what to do. I thought it was vent gleet but I thought that was not contagious. We just moved recently so they've only been at this new house/yard/coop for about a month, they have never seemed stressed but I'm wondering if there is something in the soil? I should mention that they live with two ducks, one of whom is male, and they have lived with him for five years now and we've never had issues like this, but I do know that he gets feisty in the spring. I have been trying to find the time to make the ducks a separate coop but I spend a lot of time watching them and I have NEVER seem him mate with them, mostly just chase them and bite at their neck/wing feathers. I am totally freaking out and I hope someone can help me!!

Can you separate the ducks and take in some fresh droppings to a vet to look for coccidiosis and worms? What are you feeding? If that is not possible, you could go ahead and treat with Corid in the water for 7 days, and worm them with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer.

Can you separate the ducks and take in some fresh droppings to a vet to look for coccidiosis and worms? What are you feeding? If that is not possible, you could go ahead and treat with Corid in the water for 7 days, and worm them with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer.
Thank you soo much! I think I can take droppings to the vet tomorrow! I am looking at Corid online and wondering--do I give it to them as the main drinking source or mix it in with their water? And I keep seeing one that are meant for cattle... is it the same as for chickens?

Back
Top Bottom