Glenn Cottage Eggery in Process UPDATED PHOTOS

rebbetzin

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 4, 2008
Tucson AZ
Well, it has begun!! My friend Corrine, is helping me with the building of my coop. We are having a blast, we worked three days and had nothing to really show for it, but yesterday the walls went up!! Here are some photos,

It is a shed type style coop, it will have lots of open space near the roof, since in AZ we need to worry more about air flow and being too hot, than we do staying warm.

Here is my logo/sign
GlennCottageEggery04email.jpg

Here I am holding my sign looking through the top of the coop.
HeidiandSignAug52008email.jpg

Here is the front of the coop. It will have a door the opens sideways.
UnfinishedfrontofcoopAug52008email.jpg

Here is the interior... not painted or wallpapered yet!!
it is 30" by 4 feet. ( I will only have few chickens, four at the most)
UnfinishedsouthsideofcoopAug52008em.jpg

This is looking down the west side, it has a small door for adding more litter, or to remove the litter as needed. This entire side will be on hinges to make it easy to open for a complete cleaning. The sides will be screwed on so it will not be hard to take it all apart and give it a good cleaning once a year or so.

UnfinishedwestsideofcoopAug52008ema.jpg

"Just so happens" we had 14 roofing shingles left from re-roofing our house a couple of years ago. And it will be just the right amount to cover the roof of the coop!!

My friend Corinne found a new piece of fencing someone was throwing away, and it is just the right size to make a gate for the run next to the coop!! How wonderful is that!!

By the end of the month... I may just have some chicks!!

I am getting excited!! Today I am putting primer on the wood and going to pick out paint!!

Last edited:
Quote:
I like the looks of the Buff Orpingtons, and from what I have read they are a nice friendly quiet chicken. I want to get four chickens max...

For sure I will get two Buff Orpingtons, and I am still deciding on the other two, much will depend on what my local feedstore has in stock when the coop is finished.

I am also building a tractor out of PVC pipe and plastic chicken wire. Since I have a fenced backyard and plan to only have the chickens in the tractor when I can watch them, it will be strong enough to let them roam about the yard, yet still be enclosed from flying preditors like hawks which we do have here.

Quote:
Oh my!! Hatching chicks would be much to hard for me!! Too much supense!! And scary!! plus I don't own an incubator.

I will be happy just to buy some chicks.

Have you checked your local feedstore to see if they have chicks? I would check now, you may need to order some. Our feedstore only carries chicks once a year. Easter.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom