1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Glenn Cottage Eggery in Process UPDATED PHOTOS

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rebbetzin, Aug 6, 2008.

1. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Well, it has begun!! My friend Corrine, is helping me with the building of my coop. We are having a blast, we worked three days and had nothing to really show for it, but yesterday the walls went up!! Here are some photos,

It is a shed type style coop, it will have lots of open space near the roof, since in AZ we need to worry more about air flow and being too hot, than we do staying warm.

Here is my logo/sign
    [​IMG]

Here I am holding my sign looking through the top of the coop.
    [​IMG]

Here is the front of the coop. It will have a door the opens sideways.
    [​IMG]

Here is the interior... not painted or wallpapered yet!!
    it is 30" by 4 feet. ( I will only have few chickens, four at the most)
    [​IMG]

This is looking down the west side, it has a small door for adding more litter, or to remove the litter as needed. This entire side will be on hinges to make it easy to open for a complete cleaning. The sides will be screwed on so it will not be hard to take it all apart and give it a good cleaning once a year or so.

[​IMG]

"Just so happens" we had 14 roofing shingles left from re-roofing our house a couple of years ago. And it will be just the right amount to cover the roof of the coop!!

My friend Corinne found a new piece of fencing someone was throwing away, and it is just the right size to make a gate for the run next to the coop!! How wonderful is that!!

By the end of the month... I may just have some chicks!!

I am getting excited!! Today I am putting primer on the wood and going to pick out paint!!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  2. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    Lookin good. coming together nice.

3. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    LOVE IT! Your sign is adorable. What kind of chicks are you getting?

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

How neat. Are you going to hatch your own chicks?

5. rebbetzin

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Quote:I like the looks of the Buff Orpingtons, and from what I have read they are a nice friendly quiet chicken. I want to get four chickens max...

For sure I will get two Buff Orpingtons, and I am still deciding on the other two, much will depend on what my local feedstore has in stock when the coop is finished.

I am also building a tractor out of PVC pipe and plastic chicken wire. Since I have a fenced backyard and plan to only have the chickens in the tractor when I can watch them, it will be strong enough to let them roam about the yard, yet still be enclosed from flying preditors like hawks which we do have here.

6. rebbetzin

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Quote:Oh my!! Hatching chicks would be much to hard for me!! Too much supense!! And scary!! plus I don't own an incubator.

I will be happy just to buy some chicks.

7. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I am in awe of your sign!!! [​IMG]

I WANT

I WANT

I WANT

the coop looks like it is coming along well too...but THE SIGN!!! [​IMG]

8. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Have you checked your local feedstore to see if they have chicks? I would check now, you may need to order some. Our feedstore only carries chicks once a year. Easter.[​IMG]

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

What a great coop and sign! Love it!

10. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Perfect, Rebbetzin!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by