Glittering Greensand?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JellyBeanCee, Oct 26, 2011.

1. JellyBeanCee

JellyBeanCee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Anyone know anything about Glittering Greensand? Though this is an organic gardening product, I thought I'd ask around and see if anyone knew if it would be harmful for chickens if they pecked at it and ingested any of it? Supposed to be iron and potassium rich. My babies are only a month old, so I definitely don't want to do anything detrimental to their development.

http://www.ladybugbrand.com/products/Glittering-Greensand.asp

I apologize if this is the wrong spot to post this, I wasn't sure where it should go.

2. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    Greensand is pretty specialized stuff for gardening. I can't imagine it would do your birds any harm, but it it strikes me that there a lot of less costly alternatives (for chick grit, dust baths or other poultry uses).

If it's a matter of having some on hand, I'd save the greensand for the garden and spring for something more common for whatever purpose for the birds.

3. JellyBeanCee

JellyBeanCee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Yes, that's really all it was. We had a 1/2 bag available and my BF said, why not just use that until we can get some sand...I was unsure about it. But thanks for the input. That's a good point...kinda expensive stuff for them to poop out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by