Gloria has 5 toes?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AnimalsComeFirst, Mar 6, 2012.

1. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    I just noticed on Gloria's foot (which makes her limp) has 5 toes... one of them is very low to the ground. Could this be partially why she limps? Is it because when the toe touches the ground, it hurts her?? And the weird thing is, its only this foot that has 5 toes, the other foot has 4.
    Thats why she limps and can't put her foot down, she favors it cause she doesn't wanna bend her toe! Would I have to do surgery to take off the toe?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I feel so dumb! Why haven't I thought of this before? Its so obvious!

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

She limps because she has leg mites.

3. NovaAman

there is a member on the Michigan thread who came up with a great way to cure/kill leg nights that makes it so much easier on the bird and the person the bird owns.

4. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

She looks like she has Leg Mites. Try applying vaseline every day for two weeks. I have the same problem with my Ameraucana.

Here is a picture of my Ameraucana scratching her leg. Does she ever do this often?

[​IMG]

Here is her leg.

[​IMG]

5. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    I don't think it is scaly leg mites. There are no scales, except for on the very tip of her toes. I will treat those, but the last time I smothered the whole leg with vaseline the big scab got worse. Scaly leg mites wouldn't cause her to limp, this is a real limp, like she has a broken foot. I'm almost positive about the toe causing her pain, but i'm open to any other ideas/advice.

TheRedRooster: Yes, she does do that, but not to the scales, to her scab.

6. NovaAman

Are you willing to go to a vet to see about amputation?

7. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Not really. We can't afford it, otherwise i'd take her in a second.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by