Glub Glub went the plumbing?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Nov 4, 2008.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    So what does it mean if the kitchen sink and bathtub are really slow to drain and the toilet doesn't flush all the way? When you flush it just swirls around and doesn't suck it down. Sometimes though I come in and almost all the water has drained out of the bowl (a long time after flushing). When the toilet, sink or tub are draining I hear a glub glub sound, like when you turn a 2 liter bottle upside down to dump it out.
    My BIL says it has to do with the air intake. I found the air intake. How do I figure out if it's clogged and how do I unclog it? It's up on the roof.

I would really rather not call a plumber if possible. They are expensive.
    [​IMG]

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    somehow we got leaves in ours once, my husband just ran the snake you use to clear drains into it and pulled them out.

3. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    go to home depot rent a auger (or buy one $25) and shove it down the vent, or if that's too much try pouring a good drain cleaner down, pour some water in FIRST tho,

make sure to get a vent cap they're so cheap about $4-7 and saves you alot of touble, it's amazing were squirrel and bird can get

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  4. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    When our drains get slow, my DH pours a can of Coke down the drains, you'll be amazed at how powerful it is. We also have to use Drain cleaner in the shower because of DD's excessive hair.
    Flushing RidX down the toilet also helps, done monthly.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Septic or sewer? A snake will help and one can of coke down each drain will definitely do the trick.

6. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    It's a sewer system and I had it cleaned out just two years ago. I'm the only one in the house so I hesitate to think that I've filled it up all by myself! [​IMG]

So I'm augering out the vent and not the drains, right?

But the coke is going down the drains. (And now I may not ever drink Coke again...)

I'll run by Home Depot on the way home and lookf for a vent cap. It is located under a tree that overhangs tha bck of the house. Maybe it's just full of leaves.
    [​IMG]

7. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    vent, right, the noise is a dead give away

8. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    [​IMG]

So I broke down and called the plumber as the two bottles of Drano did no good at all. I don't have a ladder so I couldn't get to the vent and I decided that the plumber cost was cheaper than the ER trip that likely would ensue if I climbed up on the roof.
    Guess what the plumber discovered? This is after a week of a tub and kitchen sink that drained veeerrrrryyyyy slowly, which as you know means the tub and sink stay nasty as you can't rinse them out. A toilet that filled, but didn't suck. Ditto on the nasty. A week of no clean dishes and no laundry (as I was scared that I would fllod the house if something was stopped up). Guess what he discovered? Just guess...

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AS THE STUPID TOILET FLUSHED GOOD AS GOLD WHEN THE DANG PLUMBER TRIED IT!!!!! [​IMG]

My house hates me. Seriously. I'm not an idiot. I KNOW how to flush a dang toilet. Been doing it since I was two. Grrrrrr.....[​IMG] The man looked at me like I had lost my mind. Ummmm... what seems to be the problem, ma'am? The problem is that I've been peeing and whatnot for a week in a nasty toilet that wouldn't swirl and drain. :thun

He charged me $70 to flush my john and climp up on the roof to look in the vent. He offered to charge me $400 to cut through the main pipe and install a clean out valve. Kind of him, but I'm going to wing it for the moment. I've put that on The List, right after "new roof" and "rewire electrical system". [​IMG]

Hmmm... let's see how many cranky smilies I can use in one post.
    My dad was kind enough to say that perhaps the Drano was a slow acting formula that cleaned the system out. The other thought was that the monsoon we had this morning might have flushed out the vent. Unlikely, but I'm clinging to that one. Either way, I'm out $70. [​IMG]

Will Coke Zero work on the pipes? I hate to sacrifice my beloved Coke, but will happily pour the Coke Zero right on down the drain.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  9. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    $400.00 dollars for 1 hour of work and $3.00 worth of fittings I would call some one else!!!! drano doesn't work either. you have to go to a plumbing supply house and get a bottle of clobber or thrift. depending on your state laws you might not be able to buy it. i am a plumber in massachusetts. here you need a plumbing license to buy it. These will be wraped in plastic bags cause it will burn your skin. the clobber you pour down the drain. do not pour into a sink full of water it will EAT the finsh. the threft you put in the drain the pour boiling water down the drain. both are the best way. if you can't get them. then they sell a black tube with a garden hose fitting. you connect the hose to the end then stuff it down the drain.once in the drain turn on the hose. this should get it. If you have to have a truck come and pump it that is a septic system. If you get a water and sewer bill for the town you have town sewer and it doesn't need to be pumped. What kind of pipe do you have. If it is metal it could be cast iron. If it is gray,black, or white then it is pvc. metal is hard to cut. you would need a cast iron snapper or a grinder with a metal wheel. better let the pros handle this one. if it is pvc you can cut it with a hacksaw. then just glue the fittings back together. that is easy someone handy in the house could do that. the vent should not be clogged. unless who ever put your pipe through the roof did not stick it through far enough. It should be atleast 2 feet above the roof line. you can kind of guess from the ground if it is high enough. if it is not then what happens is it make frost inside the pipe and will close the opening. I hope this helps and anything else you mit what to know just ask. One last thing always tell anyone who comes to unclogg the drain the that you used acid. sometimes it came come back up when trying to unclogg drain and burn you. BECAREFUL.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Only the Real Thing I am afraid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by