Glucomsamine

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by virgilini, Apr 25, 2008.

1. virgilini

virgilini Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2007
    Hi, I have a 4 year old hen that can't walk very well. She lumbers when she walks and stands almost erect like a penguin with her tail feathers tucked under her. She's been this way for about a year and hasn't really gotten any worse. I did take her to a vet that does see chickens about a year ago and he really didn't have any constructive advice. She's healthy otherwise. Eats well, gets around a little bit. She's with me all the time. Lives in my heated garage in a big dog crate and goes with me to work at the farm everyday. I have a spot set up for her where she can see other chickens but they can't get to her. I suspect that she has arthritis. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of or given Glucosamine to a chicken? It's a naturally occuring substance in joints and it helps promote the production of synovial fluid in the joints and ease pain. I give it to my horses, my dog and I take it myself. I have felt a difference in my own joints and in the way my old arthrititc horses go too. My dog has hip dysplasia and I can see that it makes him less stiff as well. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.[​IMG]

2. jessica117

jessica117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    I'm sorry, I don't know anything about giving Glucosamine to chickens, though I am curious about how much you give your dog. My husband and I both take it. Our chow-chow has hip problems and I'd love to help her get around better.

Thanks!

3. virgilini

virgilini Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2007
    Hi,
    I didn't think I would get any info about Glucosamine for my hen but I thought it was worth a shot. As far as your dog though, it's a wonderful supplement. My 5 year old Black Lab has hip dysplasia and it has done wonders for him. I use Cosequin DS and Cosequin Hip and Joint. They are chewable tablets. You give them according to their weight. It's a little pricey but I've found the best price at Omaha Vaccine company. There are tons of different brands too. Check out Dr. Foster and Smith. If you google any of those companies you'll find their websites. They have lots of info on-line about Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Perna Mussel, MSM, Yucca and Ester-C. All of these supplements have anti-inflammatory properties. I've been using it for my horses for years too. If you do get some for your dog, give it about a month before you see any change. It takes a couple of weeks to get into the system. Good Luck!! [​IMG]

4. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Hi, for dogs with stiffness, pain I swear by a product allorganic called Dog gone Pain. It is amazing and best part you see results within days. Not weeks or months.

5. jessica117

jessica117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    Thanks so much for the info. I'm sure my dog will appreciate it.

The only link I could find concerning glucosamine and chickens was about using a derivative of it to see if it would affect fat absorption. It doesn't really say much but if you want to look here ya go...

http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/200613/000020061306A0356063.php

I have read that one of the easiest places to get glucosamine for human consumption is from chicken bones so I would assume that they already have a fair amount in their system. I don't think there would be anything in to to hurt your hen, though I don't think I would use the chondroitin mix for chickens.

The kind I get for my hubby and I to take is relatively cheap and is just the glucosamine HCL by itself in powder filled capsules. You could probably break open one and sprinkle it in her food. Maybe a half a one a day or less?

The reason that we don't take the one mixed with chonlroitin is, other than the added expense, the vet that told my dad to start taking it for his knees (yes, I said the vet was who told him to take it) said that the chondroitin keeps you from absorbing the glucosamine as well. We have seen major improvement with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by