Glucosamin/Chondroitin for Geese?

Sasa

Songster
8 Years
Mar 20, 2011
Northern Colorado
Do you ever give a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement to geese? I just got a 3 month old gosling yesterday and he evidently doesn't handle stress at all because this morning he has collapsed with Stress-Induced Myopathy and cannot walk without his legs collapsing out from under him. He was raised with the best care so it's not a nutrition-deficiency disease.

He is in a small pen with lots of leafy greens and Vitamin B complex, one that is a food not a synthetic, in his water and he is showing signs of perking up, sitting normally and looking around instead of laying out like he's dying (thank goodness). A friend even brought over a gosling the same breed and age to give him a clutch mate for company and comfort. I am wondering if you can give a goose a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement, because if you can safely do that it would probably help him.

Does anyone know?

Hi RURU,

That's what I thought but I wanted to double check. He stood up by himself and walked a few feet this evening so he is improving quickly, thank goodness. He is a great little boy and is going to be the Saddleback Sebastopol mate for my Female Saddleback Sebbie. Of course the Splash my friend brought over is going to bond with him and I'll end up with her too....lol As long as he recovers it will all be good.

Just make sure he gets lots of fluids maybe with poultry vitamins in the water and keeps eating well. Maybe some brewers yeast for animals in the feed will help more..

He was in the small play pool this evening and is already walking around more. He's getting B Complex, brewer's yeast, lots of greens and organic food plus he has a couple of pals in with him. I was so excited to see him doing so much better already.

Back
Top Bottom