Gluten free products

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by coloradochick, Jul 9, 2010.

1. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Should I assume that if something has Wheat, Wheat flour, or something with wheat in it, it also has Gluten? What else has gluten? And what contains Kason (sp)???

2. dipence71

dipence71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Anything that contains wheat, of any kind, spelt, most oats, barley, and many items that even say 'yeast' contain gluten.

Anything that contains whey, milk, cream, cheese (excepting soy or goat cheese), yogurt, or milk protein contains casein.

The gf/cf diet is difficult to start with, but it becomes second nature to identify the culprits. Pamela's and Kinnikinnick foods are the finest gf mixes and products you can buy- sooooooooo good. Kinnikinnick even has chocloate doughnuts and brownies and pizza crusts, etc. you can get, ready-made frozen. FABULOUS!!!

4. coloradochick

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Thanks guys, so where is Pamela's and Kinnickinick's sold? Vitamin Cottage? Whole Foods? or maybe in my regular supermarket?

eta:

Thank's Renee' !!!!

I pulled up Kinnickinick's up and I found the stores around me that sell it. And there was actually a story about the brand going into Kroger stores last month so I can go find some of their products at our King Soopers and then the Whole Foods not too far carries it also. Thanks again!!!

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:No problem!

Here's the best part: Betty Crocker is now making mixes for cookies and brownies and cakes! You can get them at all of the major chains here, and they're affordable. It's like a miracle compared to my mother having to find someone with a mill to make gritty rice and potato flour when we were kids! Boy, oh, boy things have come a long way!

ETA: Also, food for life makes great GF bread - my favorite is the brown rice (pink bag) with soy butter on it....mmmmmmm!

Breads that aren't crumbly and don't fall apart are hard to find. These are in the freezer section and are heavy and dense, but moist and lovely! If you want a sandwich, these are great to keep in the fridge. I am not a big bread lover, having grown up in a gf household, and couldn't care less about sandwiches 364 days of the year, but when I want one, this is what I use. Even though they are naturally a bit sweet, they're still great as toast for breakfast, too!

6. coloradochick

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    We're huge bread eaters here [​IMG] So that's a pretty big concern as far as looking for foods. I pulled up your link and there are actually several stores within a couple mile drive from the house that carry these breads, etc. So I'm kind of thinking that anything that is made with rice, be it breads, milk, tortillas, etc. should be ok? You've been a huge help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by