Gluten Okay To Feed Hens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ResidentEvilRock, Mar 28, 2009.

1. ResidentEvilRock

ResidentEvilRock Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    I have a local farm here where I go to get fresh corn for my chickens. They grind it and everything on location. They have a special gluten mix now as well. I talked to a person who feeds his hens the corn mixed with gluten. He said it made them lay like crazy. Is gluten okay to feed hens? Comments or suggestions?

Also, I have 3 White Leghorn hens and I've been feeding them Scratch Feed. I haven't gotten a single egg from them in almost 2 weeks. What's up?

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

There's plenty of gluten in commercial feed, and I wouldn't choose to add more. I'd be afraid of crop problems from the stickiness.

As for the layers, they need proper layer feed with oyster shell included or offered separately. Without that the laying shuts down.

3. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Bringing up this old thread to verify that it is OK to feed Corn Gluten to my laying hens.

I am unnemployed, and the money has dried up. A farmer neighbor has Corn Gluten he will give me to keep my hens alive until I can get my first paycheck, so would be thier only feed for a week or two. They live on dirt, so have plenty of grit. I am feeding all the eggs shells back to them for calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by