Glutten hen or crop problem?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ThiefPouter06, May 30, 2010.

1. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    I got an EE hen on tuesday. She has a super extra full crop now that isnt going away. SHe eats, drinks layed a nice green egg this morning. She was from a dry lot situation with multiple roos. Now she is given free range and is one of five hens and one roo. When I squeeze on its she doesnt puke or anything it just seems full. Could she be going over board with the grass and layer ration? Perhaps she never was able to get much food so she is use to eating fast?
    Here she is...[​IMG]

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    First, please be careful about squeezing the crop. You need to do that, but just be gentle.

The very best way i know to determine if there is a crop problem is to withhold feed overnight and check her crop in the morning. If her crop is still bulging, then you know she is not digesting her food. She should pass all or most of it on to her gizzard during the night.

My guess is that she's just giddy about all the great grub. [​IMG]

3. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    Thanks. Squeeze might have been the wrong word, more like gently massaging. I will see how she does.

4. bturbo87

bturbo87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    south
    So does that usually happen to EEs because I just bought 12 of them today and they all kind of have the same thing

5. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    To my knowledge, there is nothing unhealthy about a chicken filling her crop. I don't have EEs, but my hens and chicks all fill their crops and walk around with bulges, and they are fine and healthy. It's just part of their digestive system. I imagine that the gorging is exaggerated some by the food competition they have, and this might be less with smaller flocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by