1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

GLW and Banty Cochin...Help Sex These, Please.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by speckledhen, Jun 23, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The Wyandotte baby was a sexed pullet from Ideal, whose track record sexing lately hasnt been the best. I do think the Silver Laced Wyandottes that are a bit older than this one are pullets now, thank goodness. This GLW baby is about 4 weeks old now and has quite a long tail like pullets tend to do, but...is that pink in that comb? I'm paranoid! The blue Cochin bantam doesn't seem like a frizzle anymore but still has no tail and is feathering out so much slower than the others. Can't tell if it's male or female. SO, please give me some input on both of them, if you would.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tomstephens

tomstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Charlotte NC
    The comb does look a suspicious. I'm positive my GLW didn't have that much color at 4 weeks. I don't think she had that much color at 8 weeks.

3. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Sorry Cyn, think they are both males.

4. speckledhen

That's sort of my thinking, too, Dustin. I've had SLWs before and they didn't have any real color in their combs till almost 3 months old. Never had a Cochin before, banty or otherwise, so I wasn't sure how they matured exactly. Dang Ideal sexers! I think they're nipping at the bottle on the job, LOL. This would be the second or third mistake I've picked up.

5. speckledhen

If anyone else would like to comment, I'd welcome any other opinions, though.

6. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    i suspect they are male.

7. speckledhen

Well, it'll be back to the feedstore for both of them unless someone here at BYC would like one.

8. rubysmom

rubysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    This is a picture of my GLW at about 4 weeks. That's her on the far right. She had some definite pink color in the comb too and it never really developed into anything. She is 14 weeks now and appears to be a pullet. For what it's worth...

[​IMG]

9. normajean

normajean Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Howell, MI
    I would definitely suspect the GLW as male especially with the red wattles starting to develop so young. The cochin I am not so sure about though.....

10. speckledhen

Well, as in all sexing quandries, time will tell. What cute little scruffy chicks! Dont you love that stage?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by