GLW baby roo pictures??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by eponagirl, Apr 23, 2009.

1. eponagirl

eponagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Quiet Corner, CT
    I have 3 GLW chicks from mypetchicken.com that are supposed to be pullets (paid extra for sexing and I am hoping they are what they're supposed to be!) Just curious if anyone has any pictures of their GLW roo when they were chicks or if you know any characteristics to look for as they grow?

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    The comb will get bigger and redder. Pullet don't usually get red until they get close to POL.
    If you post pics we may be able to help you...

3. wundernurse

wundernurse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Atlanta
    Just a thought-- if they all look about the same, they are probably pullets, b/c what is the probability that mypetchicken screwed up three times. If you have one odd ball in the trio, then maybe you have a roo. Like I said, just a thought. I have SLW pullets, and the roos get these huge red waddles early--like 4 weeks. The roos are very obvious. My girls are 11 weeks and there is a little red around their eyes and waddles, but the roos look very different. Hope this helps.

4. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    This is my SLW Roo at 2 weeks of age (turned 2 weeks on Tuesday), came from the pullet bin...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps.

5. eponagirl

Mar 10, 2009
    Quiet Corner, CT
    Sock Puppet, that does help...mine are about 9 days old right now. I just didn't know how subtle they would be as far as differences between male/female characteristics at this age. Mine are probably all pullets as they should be. They look similiar right now, some small differences...one is slightly darker than the others, the wings are different on each right now, etc. I'll try to get some pictures with all three together.

wundernurse, that was also what I was wondering...is it more obvious that one is a roo? Mypetchicken has been great so far, so I doubt they messed it up (actually it's probably Myer that got it right!)

ps...cute roo!!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  6. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Quote:Would love to see pictures [​IMG] I think the best indicator would be thier wattles and comb, as you can see from mine. I could start to see pinkish when he was about 1 1/2 weeks. He was also very aggressive, from day one.

Cant wait to see pictures.

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    yeah, 9 days is real early.....I would give it a few weeks at least

8. eponagirl

Mar 10, 2009
    Quiet Corner, CT
    Yes, I figure in time we'll know for sure, I was just curious what the differences are at this young age from people who already knew they had a roo or from hindsight. I think mine are all pullets, they are all pretty friendly and look similiar. I'll still try to get some pics to get some opinions.
    My australorps already have some combs showing a little, but they seem to be growing much faster than the GLW's...does that sound normal? It's fun to watch them through their changes, it happens so quickly!

9. kellykate

kellykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    I don't know if I'll be much help but here is my SLW from MPC. This is one of the friendliest chicks and I am hoping it is a pullet. I have noticed over the past week and a half that her comb is turning pink which makes me nervous. I already have one very obvious cockerel from MPC (paid for a sexed bantam and got a cockerel --ugh!!) so I think now I am just looking for it .. time will tell I guess!

Oh yes and I also have an Australorp from MPC ( we must have had a very similar order!!) and she is getting a little comb showing but it is very orange still -so no worries there! Mine are 5 weeks

Cricket
    [​IMG]

10. eponagirl

Mar 10, 2009
    Quiet Corner, CT
    Again, I know it is WAY early at 10 days old...and the pic's aren't that great, I'll try for better ones again...but here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by