GLW Cockerel with single comb?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Vermont Poultry, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Vermont Poultry

Vermont Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    I have a Gold Laced Wyandotte cockerel (19 weeks) and just now I was sitting here and thought, "wait don't wyandottes have rose combs?". I have little knowledge about breeding and genetics of chickens, so I was wondering why does my GLW have a single comb? Also I would like to know more about chicken breeds and how chicken genetics work, so if someone could direct me to a source of knowledge pertaining to the subject that would be awesome, I love learning.

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Found this when looking up Wyandotte Combs...I know they should have rose combs but have had singles show up.....How about a picture?

If you cross to a straight comb, you get a gene combo on chromosome 7 that has a dominant inversion for rose comb. This means you could have straight comb birds showing up for several generations after making the cross. Your other option would be to bring in a bird from an outside source that has better comb structure than you are currently working with. Either way may lead to several more generations of work to get the birds back to standard. My first choice would be to very carefully evaluate the male birds you have now and see if any of them have better comb structure. Second would be to bring in a cock from a high quality outside source that has the correct type. Third would be to get a straight comb SLW cock.

Direct observation is that crossing rose comb to straight comb results in a rose comb bird but with a fleshier appearance than pure rose comb. None of them have a dimple in the comb, but none of them are true rose comb either.

Read more: http://showbirdbid.proboards.com/thread/7537/wyandotte-combs#ixzz4RSJEdCLJ

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Vermont Poultry

Vermont Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    Would love to take a picture, but my camera phone is broken. And I can only imagine how foolish I would look trying to get a picture of a jumpy rooster with a laptop. Thanks a lot for the info, I wish I could breed him but I do not want to "ruin" the breed or alter it further from the standard.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by