GLW cockerel

Driley62

Songster
Jun 8, 2021
Chazy, NY
So I have a GLW cockerel that managed to slip past hatchery sex checkers and he's about 15 weeks old. With my hen to roo ratio we plan on keeping him, partly on how much he cost and partly because of my bird count. But I mentioned to my better half that he will need a name. I already have a RIR rooster which we named Big Red(fitting). But my wife looked at me agreed and seemed to have a blank stare trying to think of a name as did I. Since that conversation we haven't spoken about it/came up with any named. This is a photo of him getting a drink and seeing everything I see compared to the other GLW I got at the same time I'm 99.9% certain he's a he.

Anyone have any creative/good names for this dude?

Attachments

• 20210808_122017.jpg
    20210808_122017.jpg
    760.6 KB · Views: 14
How about King Midas? (From king Midas & the Golden Touch!)
I'm liking that actually! But unfortunately I always run things by the wife! I think it's because with our first round of birds I wanted to name one Big Bertha and she stared at my like I was an alien! I thought it was so awful it was hilarious!

With the coloring in the tail I would agree with your guess...but I’m in no way an expert at sexing chickens!
Well I noticed the tail, obvios difference between my two GLW in both comb and wattles and neck feathering. Plus size and leg thickness is a huge difference too. Thus is a picture of my other GLW that's the same age. Actually you can see his bottom in the right edge of the photo 😂

Attachments

• 20210809_134707.jpg
    20210809_134707.jpg
    862.7 KB · Views: 7
Yes, that's 100% a rooster.

I haven't named any of ours but have referred to a couple of the roosters in ways that my wife would understand which I was talking about: Big Boy for our Blue Andalusian Jersey Black Giant mix, White for another (her: he's not white! me: fine, Ivory. We'll call that one Ivory. her: Ivory is a girl's name. me: ffs.)

So don't look to me for chicken names. I let the dogs name themselves.

Yes, that's 100% a rooster.

I haven't named any of ours but have referred to a couple of the roosters in ways that my wife would understand which I was talking about: Big Boy for our Blue Andalusian Jersey Black Giant mix, White for another (her: he's not white! me: fine, Ivory. We'll call that one Ivory. her: Ivory is a girl's name. me: ffs.)

So don't look to me for chicken names. I let the dogs name themselves.
That's what I figured that he was a he. It was actually my wife's idea to name them with the first round of birds we got and I said the same thing, "ffs how are we gonna tell them apart?! They all look alike!" 😂 that's why this time when we got more I purposely spend out breeds knowing these would have variations in their plumage. Like our two sapphire gems. Ones lighter ones darker. The lighter one is names smokey and the darker is midnight.

Back
Top Bottom