GLW hen or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wyldbill, Aug 26, 2013.

1. wyldbill

wyldbill Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2013
    Semmes, AL
    This Golden Laced Wyandotte is 20 weeks old. When I bought Goldie

9 weeks ago, I was told she was a GLW "pullet". I would like to think that she is in fact a hen. Thoughts?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you!

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm sorry, that's a rooster.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I'm not sure on this one. At 20 weeks, a GLW would have a different color pattern entirely than a female, wouldn't he? I thought they had solid colored necks and shoulders, in the same way a SLW does. But that's a LOT of comb for a female, even a laying hen. The bird is confusing me...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  4. johari

johari Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    I have a glw hen.

The comb and wattles on your guy look way different than mine...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  5. CowGrrrl

CowGrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    That's a rooster, definitely. You won't see the shiny feathers and sickles that this bird has in a hen.

6. ederob

ederob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    Sorry, but it looks like a roo! [​IMG]

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Should have said, it's a rooster but I think the age is off. I agree, at 20 weeks you'd expect more sex feathers, the bird looks more the gawky teen phase. If just does not look at all feminine.

8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    The head and feet scream ROOSTER on this one, but the body coloring is that of a hen. Honestly, I think that if the bird is really 20 weeks old you should probably just wait for egg or crow. Although a rooster would be crowing by now, so have you heard crowing?

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I think the age is just wrong. I'm guessing 14-16 weeks, and boy.

10. wyldbill

wyldbill Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2013
    Semmes, AL
    He's definitely 20 weeks. He was hatched Apr 6 from a McMurray Hatchery bonus egg. Sold to me by the person who hatched him/her as a "pullet".

I did hear some strange sounds from Goldie yesterday, so maybe that was attempts at crowing.

At least I believe one of my 6 young ones (a BLRW) is a girl. I have one BLRW that looks much like a roo. And 3 buff orpingtons of which at least two are growing combs and wattles much faster than the 3rd. I'll probably give away all the roos and buy hens already laying (so I'll know!).

Thanks all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by