GLW hen with injured leg- PICS

Mamaporter

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2019
Savannah, Georgia
She was fine when I let her out of the coop yesterday morning. She was fine pecking around in the yard. About 10 min later I noticed she was laying funny and thought she was dirt bathing at first. When I went to pet her she jumped up and started hopping off and acted like she was in pain. I’ve checked her foot and leg. There are no cuts or scrapes. It looks like it may be dislocated. She almost acts like she can’t feel her foot/leg..?

I made her an appointment with an avian vet. The soonest he could see her is Monday. I’ve kept her inside most of the time so she can rest. Is there anything that can be done for her here at home? Or will she need to be seen by the vet to fix it?

Attachments

• F2B0EF4C-3B34-44C2-9466-9075148459D4.jpeg
    F2B0EF4C-3B34-44C2-9466-9075148459D4.jpeg
    867.9 KB · Views: 13
  • E0C2A39C-489B-4F70-A469-BE69A4A957F8.jpeg
    E0C2A39C-489B-4F70-A469-BE69A4A957F8.jpeg
    755 KB · Views: 12
  • 3A59EC5B-896E-492B-B8C6-C705C2472709.jpeg
    3A59EC5B-896E-492B-B8C6-C705C2472709.jpeg
    721.2 KB · Views: 12
How old is she? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Her foot looks a bit numb in the pics. That could be due to a sprain, an injury, or dislocated hip, but it also could be a sign of Mareks. The first step would be to confine her to a pen or dog rate with food and water within reach. I like B complex vitamins 1/4 tablet daily crushed into food. If you are good with videos, you could post one of her walking to YouTube with a link posted her.

How old is she? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Her foot looks a bit numb in the pics. That could be due to a sprain, an injury, or dislocated hip, but it also could be a sign of Mareks. The first step would be to confine her to a pen or dog rate with food and water within reach. I like B complex vitamins 1/4 tablet daily crushed into food. If you are good with videos, you could post one of her walking to YouTube with a link posted her.

She just turned a year old. I’m not sure if she was vaccinated from Marek’s. I purchased her at tractor supply. Here are 2 videos- the first is from the morning it happened and the one of her on the dog bed was after about 24 hours.

I notice in the first video she is open-mouth breathing. Maybe from the pain?
From what I read TSC does not have vaccinated chicks. Orscheln's does, but I haven't verified any of that to be 100% sure. I always get mine from Orscheln's.

She just turned a year old. I’m not sure if she was vaccinated from Marek’s. I purchased her at tractor supply. Here are 2 videos- the first is from the morning it happened and the one of her on the dog bed was after about 24 hours.

For me I would lean more toward some type of injury to begin with. Not sure how you would fix it. Hopefully the vet can get an xray to see if there's a dislocation.

Marek's is always a possibility when dealing with odd leg conditions.

The dog bed does look comfy, but for when she's standing/moving around, I would place her on a harder surface just so it's easier for her to balance.

I would do the vitamins as @Eggcessive suggested until you can see the vet. Won't hurt anything, and some chance that it might help. I do see that her toes were moving in the second video, so it's still working some. Hopefully the vet will find something, but often, if it's injury, then really the only thing is to give it time. I definitely would confine her to reduce her movements and hopefully let it rest some. Let us know what the vet says.

**UPDATE** I took Goldie to the avian vet yesterday. After an X-ray, it was confirmed that she fractured her knee is multiple places. The vet was able to put her in a splint and give her some pain meds. She will need to be separated from the flock and I have to try to keep her as immobile as possible for the next few weeks so her leg can hopefully heal.
591988E4-9159-4BE2-BAB3-C25766BE38C4.jpeg

**UPDATE** I took Goldie to the avian vet yesterday. After an X-ray, it was confirmed that she fractured her knee is multiple places. The vet was able to put her in a splint and give her some pain meds. She will need to be separated from the flock and I have to try to keep her as immobile as possible for the next few weeks so her leg can hopefully heal. View attachment 2070563
Thank you for the update!
I'm glad you were able to have the vet see her. I hope Goldie recovers with no problems.
Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom