GLW or CW substitution ideas?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by paceysgl5, Jan 25, 2011.

1. paceysgl5

paceysgl5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    Taunton,MA
    We have an Ideal Poultry order for Feb 9th for:

9 EE's (4 we plan to sell)
    6 SLW (for a friend)
    2 Columbian Wyandottes
    2 Golden Laced Wyandottes
    1 Golden Campine
    1 RIR
    2 Buff Orpingtons
    2 Barred Rocks

However, the GLW are oversold on Feb 9th and the CW are oversold on Feb 16th. I love the GLW look, does anyone have any suggestions for what to get instead if we substitute something instead of wait a few more weeks? I'd really like to get the Feb 9th hatched babies just so I can stop worrying about them being delayed (assuming the GLW is the only issue). We want decent layers w/ brown eggs that are large. I'd change them for a Welsummer for the choc eggs but they are sold out of all choc egg layers...

Thanks!! (On and pics would be great too!)

2. Hanna101

Hanna101 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    Connetticut
    IDK????? [​IMG]

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  4. paceysgl5

paceysgl5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    Taunton,MA
    Hmm for some reason DH doesn't like the speckled sussex...???

What do you guys think about the golden laced cochin?

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Consider this - You're ordering from a hatchery. Honestly your Wyandottes are not going to look anything like the illustrations shown, although if your hatchery shows pics of skinny looking, poorly laced birds. . . There ya got it. As for Welsummers, they too won't lay "chocolate" eggs, but more of an orange color slightly darker than the average brown.

Now, back more on the topic - Gold Laced Cochins will be a good substitute, they'll also probably end up more true to type than the Wyandottes, there's also Gold Laced Polish, though poor in color and type, are still fun to have around. . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by